Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Help with VIA OHCI Compliant IEEE 1394 Host Controller

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Rheanun

Rheanun

• Members
  • 84 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:48 PM

Posted 01 July 2010 - 06:31 PM

Hello again, I was running my tuneup utilities and it said that a device is not working properly. It is the VIA OHCI Compliant IEEE 1394 Host Controller. I went to the device manager and tried to update the driver etc...and nothing changed. I was wondering if someone could tell me what this is for first of all and if I need to fix it. I was using a wireless connection but I am not anymore. I am not hard wired to my connection. I am not sure if that has anything to do with the driver. Thank you in advance to anyone that can help me.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,770 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:48 PM

Posted 01 July 2010 - 07:30 PM

It's not clear from your post...
Is anything not working on your computer?

My Website

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click DONATE

#3 Platypus

Platypus

• Global Moderator
  • 15,780 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:48 AM

Posted 01 July 2010 - 11:38 PM

It is the driver for Firewire. If your system has a Firewire port that you never use, or if there is no physical Firewire socket on the system, then you can probably ignore it.

So-called tuneup utilities can be wrong - is there a bang (!) for the device in Device Manager?
Top 5 things that never get done:

#4 Rheanun

Rheanun
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 84 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:48 PM

Posted 02 July 2010 - 09:31 PM

No Broni, nothing seems to be wrong with anything that I can see. Yes Platypus there is a bang (!) for the device in Device Manager. I guess I can just ignore it for now then, thanks so much for your help!

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,556 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:48 PM

Posted 02 July 2010 - 09:33 PM

If you are not using it...just disable it in the BIOS...it then will not show up in Device Manager.

Louis

#6 Platypus

Platypus

• Global Moderator
  • 15,780 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:48 AM

Posted 03 July 2010 - 08:27 AM

I agree with Louis, if you don't use the Firewire port or if the system doesn't have a physical socket, then disabling it in the BIOS is probably the easiest solution for now, assuming the Firewire chip is on the motherboard, not on the likes of a PCI card.
Top 5 things that never get done:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users