Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Wireless router run off of a wired router

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Ascension

Ascension

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:14 PM

Posted 01 July 2010 - 05:36 PM

I have a wired router right now that works perfect for the two computers and a xbox 360 that is hooked up to it. It took a long time for me to set up the router so the xbox wouldn't disconnect when first logging in, I don't quite remember what I did to get it to fly, I think I put the xbox into the DMZ but not sure. All I know is it was a pain in the ass so I don't want to screw with the wired router :thumbsup:. Well now I have a iphone and would like to use wi-fi while at home. A buddy of mine gave me his old wireless router. So now I want to just plug in the wireless router into the wired one. I have connected the wireless router to the wired one and the phone sees the signal but problem is I can't actually connect to the wireless router cause I don't know the password. So I would like to know how to access the wireless router settings to change the PW. I can see the wireless router listed as a virtual server when viewing through my wired router but can't figure how to actually get into intoit for lack of a better term...

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Blathnat

Blathnat

• Members
  • 224 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2010 - 06:41 PM

The simplest way would be to ask your buddy for the password.

#3 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2010 - 06:47 PM

Plug the wireless router into some power, find the reset button, take a paper clip and bend out 1 end, push and hold the reset button with the end of the paperclip for a slow count of 5. Try to connect now.

Hope this helps thumbup.gif

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

#4 Orecomm

Orecomm

• Members
  • 261 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:14 AM

Posted 18 July 2010 - 02:46 PM

Once you get into the wireless router (using the factory reset button per CaveDweller above) there are still a couple of things you need to do to make it work reasonably well as you have described it. Plugging one home router into another will almost always cause issues because they generally use the same default network addresses. To fix this, check and see what addresses your current router is handing out (use Start->Run->type "cmd"->type "ipconfig" and look at the address you were assigned, it's probably a 192.16.1.x address). Connect to the wireless router and reset the LAN address from it's default (probably 192.168.1.1) to something else in the same subnet as your existing router but NOT the existing router's address and preferably not an address it will assign to it's DHCP clients (generally 192.168.1.2 works). Also turn off the DHCP service on the wireless router (generally a checkbox on the LAN setup). Now connect the wireless router to the wired router using one of the four LAN ports, NOT THE NORMAL WAN PORT. This allows the wireless to be bridged, rather than routed, into your local LAN (making your wireless router into what is known as a wireless Access Point). Put a piece of tape over the WAN port to remind you later not to use it. Write the new address of the router/AP, it's login password, and your newly chosen wireless passphrase (you did set one, right ?) on a strip of tape on the bottom of the unit for later reference. As you have just proven, if someone has physical access to your router all your security settings are of little use, but it's a pain if you forget them and have to reset everything every time you need to log in.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users