Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

XP PRO Won't boot from CDROM

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 yank103

yank103

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:38 AM

Posted 01 July 2010 - 05:30 PM

Hi all,

I have a Fujitsu Siemens PC that is clogged up with stuff. I wont to format the C: drive and reinstall XP. I have an genuine copy of XP but when I change the BIOS to boot from CD-ROM Windows just boots as usual. I have tried several times to no avail.
Can anyone Help?

Thanks,

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,735 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:38 AM

Posted 01 July 2010 - 07:32 PM

Did you try the CD on another computer to see, if it'll boot?

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

#3 yank103

yank103
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 02 July 2010 - 02:14 AM

Did you try the CD on another computer to see, if it'll boot?

Yes works fine on a Dell machine.

#4 Drovers Dog

Drovers Dog

• Members
  • 1,048 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:38 PM

Posted 02 July 2010 - 03:30 AM

Maybe if you drain the CMOS?

Some times Virus affect BIOS?

Just a thought to kick around here?

I am happy to Help in it.

Ray.
What ever you give to others, you will get back doubled, Just make sure you only give Nice Things?......DD saying

There is a saying, "You just can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear" it means "to be happy with what you have and not look for the impossible"......DD saying

The "Spirit" of the people who died, on that terrible day 9/11 will NEVER REST until such time as the "Imbeciles" that caused it, are eliminated through out the World.....DD saying

What is a Dog?

#5 yank103

yank103
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 02 July 2010 - 04:18 AM

Maybe if you drain the CMOS?

Some times Virus affect BIOS?

Just a thought to kick around here?

I am happy to Help in it.

Ray.

Excuse my ignorance but what is the CMOS?

#6 Platypus

Platypus

• Global Moderator
  • 15,173 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:38 PM

Posted 02 July 2010 - 04:47 AM

The CMOS refers to battery backed-up memory that holds the BIOS settings. If this has somehow become corrupted and is giving bad information to the BIOS, or is not actually storing the boot setting you choose, it can be cleared by opening the computer case and either removing the small backup battery, which is usually a button cell, for a while or moving a jumper on the board to a position that clears the CMOS. Often this is labelled something like CLR_CMOS. If you do this, you could have to reset things in the BIOS such as drive boot order.

Before trying this, I'd enquire if you have another bootable CD to try, to confirm whether or not it can boot from a CD at all. That would indicate what direction to look and what else would be worth trying.

Edited by Platypus, 02 July 2010 - 04:48 AM.

Top 5 things that never get done:

#7 yank103

yank103
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 02 July 2010 - 05:35 AM

The CMOS refers to battery backed-up memory that holds the BIOS settings. If this has somehow become corrupted and is giving bad information to the BIOS, or is not actually storing the boot setting you choose, it can be cleared by opening the computer case and either removing the small backup battery, which is usually a button cell, for a while or moving a jumper on the board to a position that clears the CMOS. Often this is labelled something like CLR_CMOS. If you do this, you could have to reset things in the BIOS such as drive boot order.

Before trying this, I'd enquire if you have another bootable CD to try, to confirm whether or not it can boot from a CD at all. That would indicate what direction to look and what else would be worth trying.

Thanks for explaining that to me.

Unfortunately I don't Have another bootable CD.

#8 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,735 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:38 AM

Posted 02 July 2010 - 10:14 PM

Create Ultimate Boot CD: http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/ and see, if it'll boot.

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

#9 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,272 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:38 AM

Posted 03 July 2010 - 07:23 AM

This CD that works on a Dell, but won't work on the Fujitsu...this is a Microsoft-issued XP CD and not an XP Dell CD issued by Dell?

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users