Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Why No Internet Connection?

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Troutman46

Troutman46

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:25 PM

Posted 16 October 2005 - 05:37 AM

Hey,
when my pc was new approx nine months I set up a network with a second PC using the Devolo connections via the house electrical wiring and all was well. Then and I don't know when or what I did / installed but it all went. So ran the network wizard and after a little pinging etc network was back but try as might I cannot get the second pc to get a connection to the internet?

I have zone alarm, avg and various spyware installed have tried disabling but still no internet with second pc only the network?

Help :thumbsup:
Troutman46

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:25 AM

Posted 17 October 2005 - 04:16 PM

Are you trying to connect to a router or another computer? Does the second computer connect to the internet when connecting directly to the modem?
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#3 Troutman46

Troutman46
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 18 October 2005 - 04:14 AM

Hi, I'm trying and it did work when PC was new, to connect a laptop using XP through my main PC using XP which connects to the internet through cable/box.
Originally the network wizard worked first time and internet was available for both the PC and the laptop but for some reason I can't work out, the network settings disappeared. Using the wizard does not work I have to manually set the IP address on my laptop and then I can get a network but no internet connection. I have shut down all the anti-virus etc. and even dropped Zone alarm to off setting and turned XP firewall off but no internet only a network.
Any ideas gratefully received. :thumbsup:
Troutman46

#4 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 18 October 2005 - 06:03 PM

Did you also setup the DNS when you setup the IP?

#5 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:25 AM

Posted 19 October 2005 - 04:38 AM

You must re run the network wizard on both PCs to set up Internet Connection Sharing and make sure your cable connection is shared. ICS will not work with manually assigned IP addresses so far as I know.

Soltek QBIC, Pentium 4 3.0GHz, 512MB RAM, 200GB SATA HDD, ATI Radeon 9600XT 256MB, Netgear 54Mb/s WAP, ridiculously expensive Satellite Broadband
Windows XP Home SP2, Trend Micro Internet Security, Firefox, Thunderbird, AdAwareSE, Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster, A-squared Free, Ewido Security Suite.

#6 Troutman46

Troutman46
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 19 October 2005 - 07:16 AM

Hi Aklan,
left dns in auto cos I don't really know what I'm doing :thumbsup:

Rimmer,
running the wizard was my first action, worked fine when PC new, now when I run it I can't even get a network connection? Hence my playing with the address :flowers:

Any suggestions re what the settings should be? I have the same subnet and workgroup.
Will rerun the wizard and play with dns to see what happens.

Thanks for your comments :trumpet:

#7 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 19 October 2005 - 10:03 PM

Ok.

Option 1- Enter the following is the DNS 68.109.202.25 and put your desktop computer's LAN IP 192.168.xxx.xxx or what ever it is in the Gateway box.

Option 2- Try setting up your computer to automatic when going thru the network connection wizard. This will enable DHCP and should configure the connection.

Option 3- Make a network disk from the Network Wizard on your XP machine and run it on your '98 box.

#8 Troutman46

Troutman46
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 20 October 2005 - 02:29 PM

Acklan Hi,
I ran wizard from my PC (XP Home) disabled XP firewall, then ran setup floppy on my laptop (XP Home) now did not work first time, won't bore you with all the attempts, but have uninstalled zonealarm from laptop and also disabled XP firewall. After several tries the internet good!! well almost its very slow and the connection seems to time out and some pages won't appear others will, pages on a google search sometimes appear i.e new search not old pages??
Ran ipconfig all on both machines and the dns, ip address, default gateway etc all matches?
Only problem is the flaky slow connection?
Will retry but using some of your suggestions, will let you know what happens
Many thanks,
Troutman46

#9 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  

Posted 20 October 2005 - 06:54 PM

Since you have the ip addresses handy try this (substituting your ip addresses of course):

Open a command prompt window by typing "cmd" in the Start>Run box.

Assume your remote device has the address 192.168.0.111 then a possible ping command would be:

ping -l 256 -w 5 -t 192.168.0.111

(Note the "-l" is minus lower case L)
You will see results popping up on the screen and this will continue until you press Ctrl_C to stop the ping.

When you stop the ping you will see the statistics gathered showing the % packet loss and the time it took for packets to return.
If the packet loss percentage is significant there is likely to be a physical problem with your network - damaged or faulty wiring, or faulty network cards.

Soltek QBIC, Pentium 4 3.0GHz, 512MB RAM, 200GB SATA HDD, ATI Radeon 9600XT 256MB, Netgear 54Mb/s WAP, ridiculously expensive Satellite Broadband
Windows XP Home SP2, Trend Micro Internet Security, Firefox, Thunderbird, AdAwareSE, Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster, A-squared Free, Ewido Security Suite.

#10 Troutman46

Troutman46
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 21 October 2005 - 06:14 AM

Thanks to u all,
its working and I've learnt a lot so thanks for all the suggestions.
Problem I think and hope, was fixed after reading an article on the web re-network problems. Simply stated the majority of these internet issues are due to the firewall set up. Now I had already tried ZA turned off on both and removed ZA from laptop with no effect but tried it with PC and immediately internet access at acceptable rates was available on laptop.
Re-installed ZA on PC, internet lost on laptop but then concentrated on the ZA setup and after adding an IP range to zones area the laptop had internet access without a re-boot.
So far working OK.
Need to understand more about firewalls now :thumbsup:
Many thanks,
Troutman46

#11 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  

Posted 21 October 2005 - 06:28 AM

Thanks for letting us know what fixed it. :thumbsup:

#12 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 21 October 2005 - 02:09 PM

Excellent! You did a great job. All is needed is not to give up.

Edited by acklan, 21 October 2005 - 02:10 PM.

#13 Troutman46

Troutman46
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 23 October 2005 - 12:15 PM

:thumbsup: Hi,
yup thought this was finished but found connection went again. But did web search plus went to firewall area and discovered the free version of zone alarm is not fully compatible with ICS D'OH!
Suggestion was try firewall from Sygate also free and is ICS compatible.
I can now with total confidence annouce that the total removal of ZA and installation of sygate firewall has fixed the problem.
Thought there might be others with same issue as myself so one more post was worth it.
Thanks to all

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users