Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Beeping at start up

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 o.O?

o.O?

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:56 PM

Posted 01 July 2010 - 02:28 PM

Hey guys, so recently my video card died (heard a loud popping noise, took a look and 3 of the capacitors blew up)

I ordered a new one, and it just arrived, so I stuck it into my mobo, and now it gives me this long beep, followed by 3 short beeps, and then 2-3 really quick beeps.

I can't figure out what's wrong, and I'm starting to worry my mobo might have gotten damaged as well.

I searched on google and it said this could be a RAM problem (though I see how this could be) and I'm pretty sure it's not since
A) Haven't had a problem with my RAM yet
:thumbsup: When I take the memory sticks out and try to boot, it gives me a different series of beeping noises.

Now I do remember trying to boot the PC about 3 times when my video card was dead, but switching from the old video card and the new one isn't changing the beeps I hear.

I'm running...
ASUS M2N NF4 430 AM2 Mobo
Geforce 8600 GT -> Geforce 9800 GT

Thoughts?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:56 PM

Posted 02 July 2010 - 02:23 PM

Hello and welcome to Bleepingcomputer.

For the capacitors to pop as you say they did means they were subject to a voltage above their rated values or AC was passed through to the main board.

I am not sure how long you had the video card installed and running, there are cards that require 1.5 volts and those that require 3.3 volts.

If a voltage regulator went wacko for any reason, it could have allowed the voltage to spike to a dangerous level causing the caps to blow on the video card or allowed AC to pass through.

You should check the motherboard for any signs of circuit burns or damaged leaking capacitors.

You should also check the PSU to make it has not malfunctioned and was the cause of the problem.

Make sure AC is NOT being detected at the PSU's outputs.

There is a good chance the motherboard has also sustained some type of damage.

Before you invest in a new motherboard, make sure the PSU is not malfunctioning before attaching the new motherboard to it.

Hopefully the link below will help you test the PSU for problems. There are also other menus on this web site that can help you diagnose other issues that could be related.

Good luck.

http://www.playtool.com/pages/psucompat/compat.html
Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users