Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cannot boot to windows

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 seg42

seg42

• Members
  • 81 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:50 AM

Posted 01 July 2010 - 01:59 PM

I have two machines with similar problems. Both are fine if you try to boot to safe mode, but if you let them try to boot normally they have errors before you log in.

The first is an emachine runing XP Home SP3, and when it reaches the login point it shuts down. The second is a brand new HP with windows 7, and when it reaches the login screen it goes to a blank black screen with a mouse pointer. The pointer moves, but that's it. It was working fine yesterday so I tried both restoring to yesterday and restoring to factory defaults, neither of which worked.

I've heard of a couple other people having this same problem. Is this something happening alot lately, or do I have two different failures.?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:50 PM

Posted 02 July 2010 - 06:17 PM

an emachine runing XP Home SP3
brand new HP with windows 7

These either relate to same programs installed on both units or similar infections on both units -
I can not see any way these 2 totally unalike machines can have the same problems without you adding similar items to them -
Have you (or someone near you with access to both units) added any thing similar recently - Even a major power failure when both were on ??

Thank You -
EDIT - Once you can access the drives, please run these checks -
Run a Disk Check on your C: drive in Windows XP:
  • Click Start and open My Computer
  • Right-click on C: and select Properties
  • Click on the Tools tab
  • Under Error-checking click the Check Now... button
  • Mark the box next to Automatically fix file system errors and Scan for and attempt recovery of bad sectors
  • When the message box pops up, click the Schedule disk check button and restart your computer
  • Once your computer restarts it will check the drive, don't press any keys so that it is allowed to do so
Run a Disk Check on your C: drive in Windows Vista or Windws 7:
  • Click the Start button and select Computer
  • Right-click on C: and select Properties
  • Click on the Tools tab
  • Under Error-checking click the Check Now... button and click Continue at the User Account Control prompt
  • Mark the box next to Automatically fix file system errors and Scan for and attempt recovery of bad sectors
  • When the message box pops up, click the Schedule disk check button and restart your computer
  • Once your computer restarts it will check the drive, don't press any keys so that it is allowed to do the check

Edited by noknojon, 02 July 2010 - 06:42 PM.

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,748 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:50 AM

Posted 02 July 2010 - 06:23 PM

A system that shuts down...not reboots...during the boot process...probably has a hardware problem, IMO.

The system only shuts off...to protect itself from something serious.

I've never seen anything in any version of Windows...that resulted in more than a reboot or an error message or a combination of the two.

IME, typically the black screen at boot is indicative of an MBR problem...or hardware attached (such as flash drives or USB devices) which interrupt the hardware recognition/cataloguing by Windows.

Of course...malware is always a possibility these days.

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 02 July 2010 - 06:24 PM.

#4 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  

Posted 02 July 2010 - 06:34 PM

IMHO - Installed programs or more likely fault caused by sudden Power Surge/Spike/Outage to both units (if the problems occured at the same time) -

This is Not a common fault to have 2 unrelated units with unrelated O/S's at the same time with the same problem -

Please add how far apart these incidents occured and if any M/soft updates were being installed -

Edited by noknojon, 02 July 2010 - 06:38 PM.

#5 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  

Posted 03 July 2010 - 12:19 AM

Hi again seg42 -

but if you let them try to boot normally they have errors before you log in

Can you note any of the error messages you get - Are they similar on either machine -
These messages give the fault and hopefully can lead to a solution -

Thank You -

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users