Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Anti-Spyware

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 DorieC

DorieC

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:29 PM

Posted 01 July 2010 - 10:44 AM

Hi, This is my first post! Thank you for inviting me.

I lost my virus protection from McAfee and they scanned and told me I had a virus which they removed remotely and they just reinstalled their latest software and I'm OK now. But they uninstalled my Malwarebytes program and said I don't need any other anti-spyware other than McAfee, it sometimes interfere with McAfee ? Is that right? I would like to download Malwarebytes again but would like opinions. thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 DorieC

DorieC
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 01 July 2010 - 10:50 AM

Sorry, I guess I posted this in the wrong place. I'll have to read a little more before I post again. I'm not too forum savvy!

#3 rigel

rigel

FD-BC

• Members
  • 12,944 posts
  •  

Posted 01 July 2010 - 02:42 PM

No problems Dorie.

Malwarebytes should run fine with McAfee. I haven't heard of any conflicts. From time to time, programs do however "bump heads" and give a false positive. Now for a soap box moment :)

There is not one single piece of software that can protect you against all threats. - McAfee included.

The best weapon against the bad guys is a smart user.
:) Keep your computer updated. If you don't have your computer set to update automatically, I suggest you think about it. At least start Internet Explorer once a week and check for updates. That option can be found under the file menu - Tools - Options - Windows Update. Run the express update - to let it automatically update, or run manual update to choose the updates you wish to install.

:trumpet: Make sure McAfee is up to date. It should automatically update, but you can access the program and check manually.

:flowers: Scan once a week with Malwarebytes - Don't the Mcafee people love me for saying that :) It is a good product that is one of our frontline tools.

:cool: Keep your other programs updated. Java / Flash / Quicktime / Adobe Reader should be updated as well. I use Secunia to check my computer from time to time.

:P Be safe - surf smart! We have members who surf crackz/hackz sites to download illegal software and music. Well, you get what you pay for and that may mean a nasty infection.

:inlove: Don't open attachments from emails that you are not expecting. If someone you don't know sends you an attachment - do not open it. I even check with family before I open their attachments. :)

There are lots of other things to do to stay safe, but this is a good start.

Take care and thanks for joining :thumbsup:

"In a world where you can be anything, be yourself." ~ unknown

"Fall in love with someone who deserves your heart. Not someone who plays with it. Will Smith

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users