Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Weird connectivity issue.

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Vance K

Vance K

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:42 AM

Posted 01 July 2010 - 10:31 AM

Okay, there are 2 computers hooked up to a router. One is an older desktop, wired connection. The other is a laptop, wireless connection. At first, neither would connect to the internet. I reset the router, and then the laptop would connect.

But still the desktop won't connect. I tried giving it a static IP, updating the LAN drivers, etc. Sometimes I can get to Google, but nothing else from there either way.

Now, I tried pinging a few different servers, and doing a tracert to a few different servers from each. Obviously, the laptop always got a response. The desktop would, occasionally, but not usually; and it seems to be kind of random when it does or does not.

I'm fairly sure it's not any kind of malware or anything. They have an up-to-date version of Avira Premium on the computer.

So, I'm sitting here, no clue how to fix this. I've reset the router, updated the drivers, tried with DHCP or static IP... nothing will work, except occasionally getting to Google. Any one have any ideas?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 72,762 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:42 AM

Posted 01 July 2010 - 08:51 PM

I am moving this to Networking to get more eyes skilled in this area available.
You can try this.

Open control, internet options, connections tab, lan settings, uncheck the box next to "use proxy...."
OR
Go to Start ... Run and type in cmd
A dos Window will appear.
Type in the dos window: netsh winsock reset
Click on the enter key.

Reboot your system to complete the process.
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 kennzsniper

kennzsniper

• Members
  • 142 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:42 PM

Posted 08 July 2010 - 02:46 PM

Since you mentioned your PC is old.
Try setting the NIC speed to 10 full duplex and see what happens.
Hardware tech when I was in college.
1st job was a network support for SOHO
2nd job was lappy tech
3rd Job way out of my league but its nice...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users