Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

CDs, DVDs now playing too fast

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Lowerdeck

Lowerdeck

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:46 AM

Posted 01 July 2010 - 10:04 AM

Since sometime last night, I've had a problem on my computer - the two CD/DVD drives I have on my computer are running at far too fast a speed. This applies all sorts of different programs: iTunes 9.1, Windows Media 10, PowerDVD 7. With audio CDs on my D drive, it can play as much as six times faster on iTunes. It goes a little slower with PowerDVD and WMP, but still noticeably quick.

My D drive is a CD-RW/DVD combo which I purchased within the last two years, if that.
My E drive is just a CD-RW which is anywhere from 5-7 years old, and probably doesn't write anymore but still plays.

I'm wondering how both are all of a sudden not working properly. I just ran MBAM, and nothing came up. Currently running an anti-virus scan to see if that might be it. Anyone out there got a guess as to what's wrong?

Edited by Lowerdeck, 01 July 2010 - 10:05 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:46 AM

Posted 07 July 2010 - 05:35 PM

If I am following your description correctly, you're saying the music is playing to the point that the lyrics are sounding like someone who has had too many Red Bull caffeine drinks?
Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#3 Lowerdeck

Lowerdeck
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:46 AM

Posted 13 July 2010 - 11:57 AM

Might be faster than that, since I can't make out lyrics. I just put in a CD, and it played a song of 7 min 5 seconds in about 57 (actual) seconds. So it's running about seven to eight times faster than it should be.

However, the CD can be read. It gives the proper track listings and iTunes and all.

#4 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:46 AM

Posted 13 July 2010 - 12:22 PM

It sounds to me like the drive has problem with the drive motor.

You should try this device on another computer to see if it functions the same way, if it does there is something wrong with the controller on the drive.

Also try another drive on your computer and see it that functions Okay.

I am inclined to think this is a hardware issue and not a software related one, although some software can create sound effects and such, I can't see that as being the case here.

Did anyone recently update the firmware on the optical drive recently that you are aware of?

I would try what I suggested above, this will at least tell you if the problem is with the computer or with the optical drive.

Bruce.
Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users