Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Reformat unsuccessful

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Magdalena

Magdalena

• Members
  • 51 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:48 PM

Posted 01 July 2010 - 09:29 AM

Started computer and it went into a bootloop. Would flash a blue screen after Windows loading screen too fast to see or read if any codes were present.
Swapped hard drive into a secondary computer and set it up as a Slave. The hard drive said it had to be formatted to work and no information was claimed to be on it. Now I've had it set up as a slave in the secondary computer before and it worked just fine.
Ran chkdsk /r in Recovery Console, which stopped at about 34% saying the rest was unrecoverable. My XP Pro does not have a repair option outside of Recovery Console. Decided (since I back up anything important to me) to just reformat.
When reformatting, it would stop at 97% with file g400.inf and could not copy that or any file after that. Initially assuming it was my cd or cd drive problem, I first cleaned the cd and checked for scratches. Nothing obvious was present beside small scratches. I then swapped the cd drive out with one from my secondary computer. At that point it wouldn't even register that I had a cd drive. Last, but not least I tried another XP Pro cd with the exact same results as the first (stopping at 97% on file g400.inf and could not copy anything past that point). I then skipped every file past that point and it says at the end "Setup can not set the required Windows XP configuration information. This indicates an internal setup error. Contact your system administrator."

Now my computer lately has not been giving me any problems. I haven't installed any new hardware since christmas and the night before this happened I simply shut it down properly like I do every night.

Edited by Magdalena, 01 July 2010 - 10:34 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:48 PM

Posted 01 July 2010 - 10:19 AM

Hello and welcome to Bleepingcomputer.

Sounds to me like a failing hard drive.

Can you please tell us who the manufacturer of the hard drive is so you can be pointed towards the proper disk untility?

BTW at the top of this forum section is a pinned section where you can get web site links to different manufacturer's disk utilities, you should check out that section.

If you find out who your hard drive is made by, you can download the hard drive disk untility and run it to deteremine if your hard drive disks are reporting any disk damage.

Good luck and keep us posted.
Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#3 Magdalena

Magdalena
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 51 posts
  •  

Posted 01 July 2010 - 10:28 AM

Hard Drive Manufacturer is Maxtor.

And I'm assuming you would want the Hard drive in the secondary as a slave to run the utility?

Nevermind, read it. Now the option for Seagate/Maxtor that is in the thread has to be purchased. Is there a free version I can use? Or another way of checking it? I mean since I've already wiped the hard drive I'm not trying to save anything and would rather spend the money on a new hard drive versus the diagnostic software to confirm its bad.

Edited by Magdalena, 01 July 2010 - 10:37 AM.

#4 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 01 July 2010 - 10:42 AM

At this link download seagate tools for DOS.

Edit: It does require registration, only your email address is required, but no purchase is required.

SeaGate now owns Maxtor, so that is your diagnostic software for your Maxtor hard drive.

Make a bootable floppy and run the diagnostic tools from the floppy NOT windows.

No floppy drive? make a bootable CDROM.

http://www.seagate.com/ww/v/index.jsp?loca...000dd04090aRCRD

Edited by MrBruce1959, 01 July 2010 - 10:54 AM.

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#5 Magdalena

Magdalena
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 51 posts
  •  

Posted 01 July 2010 - 12:01 PM

Ok Ran Seagate utilities Long Test. Test resultes ended with 99 Errors. Secondary part of Long Test attempted to repair the bad sectors and failed. I gather that I need a new hard drive :|

"Repair was unsuccessful on the hard drive."

Edited by Magdalena, 01 July 2010 - 12:14 PM.

#6 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,541 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:48 PM

Posted 01 July 2010 - 12:18 PM

Check the mfgrs website to see if the drive is still in warranty.
Sometimes its three years. Worth checking into.
In the beginning there was the command line.

#7 Magdalena

Magdalena
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 51 posts
  •  

Posted 01 July 2010 - 12:29 PM

Well i would... But I'm fairly positive they don't warranty 7 years :thumbsup:. Had the drive that long lol. Its a great opportunity to get a new one.

#8 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 02 July 2010 - 03:53 AM

I gather that I need a new hard drive :|

You gathered correctly. :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users