Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Boot Failure

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 BigPat1981

BigPat1981

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:06 PM

Posted 01 July 2010 - 08:37 AM

I am running windows Xp and have error message 'Boot Failure' Insert System Disk And Press Enter. When this first appeared i tried reseating the IDE cable which done the trick. I left my compyter turned on and the next day when i went to my computer it was at the Bios screen again with Boot failure message. So i tried reseating the IDE hard drive cable but this time it took several attempts. When i got into my OS i disabled the restart option if there is a system failure. This time my comp stayed on for about a week before we had a power failure. This time it took about 20-30 goes of reseating IDE cable before i could get into the OS again. A couple of days later when i came to my comp again it was at the Boot Failure screen and this time i could not get into the OS after about 50 or so attempts.
So i done some research on the web and found that if i press the power button off then back on again very quick i should be able to get into the OS. This worked first go, but same thing happened after a few days it was back on Boot Failure screen. Then i got the same results as mentioned above, it took more and more attempts of this power button trick before i could get it to boot. Now i'm at the stage where this method no longer works.
I have tried connecting another hard drive from a working comp but still get Boot Failure. I have tried switching the 4 pin Ide from the cd drive and does not work neither. I have tried reseating Ram with no success and have reseated all cables to the motherboard.
I tried a using a Post diagnostics pci card that i purchased for a couple of $ but get error number 26 and as far as i can tell from the manual this means everything is fine but obviously it is not.
Please help..

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 strolln

strolln

• Members
  • 400 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:06 PM

Posted 01 July 2010 - 09:33 AM

The IDE cables don't usually come loose unless the machine has been jostled around a lot such as when you move or when the machine is shipped somewhere so I doubt that reseating the cable really had any effect. Most likely, your drive was failing and intermittently would boot or not boot.

First of all, when you enter the BIOS setup screen, does the machine properly recognize the hard drive? Since you were able to boot previously, most likely the machine sees the drive correctly but you should check to make sure regardless.

You said you attached a drive from a working machine and still got the same message. Did the drive come from a similar machine? It's possible that a drive from another machine could boot but it's also possible that it wouldn't boot. Again, you would need to check the BIOS setup to see if the second drive is properly recognized by the BIOS.

Did you try attaching the drive as a slave in the working computer? If you can do that and it works (you can access the files on the drive, you won't be able to boot from it), the first thing I would do is backup any data to make sure it doesn't get lost.

If you can see the files on the drive then the drive may be recoverable by doing a repair install of the OS or it may simply need the MBR (Master Boot Record) rewritten. If you can't see the files on the drive, then you may be able to reformat the drive and reinstall the OS and all of your apps.

It is also possible that the drive has failed and will not be recoverable which will mean that you will need to replace the drive.

It would be helpful if you could post what your machine specs are.
To Err is human; to really foul things up requires a Bleeping Computer!

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,264 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:06 AM

Posted 01 July 2010 - 09:46 AM

http://www.lancelhoff.com/disk-boot-failur...nd-press-enter/

I would have replaced the connecting cable...and ensured that the appropriate jumper settings were operative.

System manufacturer and model?

I would also try a different PSU.

Louis

#4 BigPat1981

BigPat1981
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 01 July 2010 - 09:49 AM

Ok im not real good with computers but her goes
What i can tell you is it is a pentium 4 3.2ghz 200 gb 512 ram running windows Xp home edition.
Gigabyte motherboard GA-8VM8000 PMD-775-RH
As far as i can tell yes it does recognise the hard drive at the top of BIOS screen it has 200gb IDE i think it said. Sorry like i said i dont know a great deal about computers, but im trying.
No i did not run the hard drive as slave i unplugged the hard drive and plugged in the other one.
If i take out the motherboard battery and wait 10 min do you think this could help?
Or do you think it could be the power suply by any chance?

#5 BigPat1981

BigPat1981
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 01 July 2010 - 09:53 AM

I think the model is optima.
Hamlius do you mean the 40 pin ribbon cable?
And where do i check the jumper settings?

#6 BigPat1981

BigPat1981
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 01 July 2010 - 10:26 AM

I no longer have the installation disk so i dont think i can rewrite the MBR?
Will removing the motherboard battery then replacing fix this?

#7 BigPat1981

BigPat1981
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 01 July 2010 - 10:32 AM

I also purchased an Ultimate Boot Cd but have no idea how to use it. Could this help me in anyway rewrite the MBR?
Thanks

#8 strolln

strolln

• Members
  • 400 posts
  •  

Posted 01 July 2010 - 11:55 AM

Can you boot your computer from the Ultimate Boot CD? There are some tools on there that might help but you won't know unless you can boot with the CD.

#9 BigPat1981

BigPat1981
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 01 July 2010 - 05:32 PM

Yes i can boot from the Ultimate Boot Cd.
But like i said i have no idea which tools to use or how to use them.
But i'm sure with some detailed instructions i could handle it.

#10 strolln

strolln

• Members
  • 400 posts
  •  

Posted 01 July 2010 - 06:09 PM

Before you try messing with the MBR, can you try to install the drive in question as a slave in the working computer? If you can see the files on the drive while attached as a slave then we can better know how to proceed. If you do this, don't attempt to save any files on the drive or otherwise try to write to it.

I don't think we have eliminated anything as a possibility yet so it could be the power supply or even the IDE cable. Those are pretty simple things to try so if you can swap out the IDE cable and the PSU (one at a time so if it does happen to fix the problem you know which was the fix).

#11 BigPat1981

BigPat1981
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 01 July 2010 - 06:45 PM

I no longer have that other computer but i can borrow 1 from a friend.
I have also noticed the last couple of days the cpu fan has been making a noise and almost comes to a stop then starts spinning again.
Do you think the fan is now faulty from turning the computer On/Off so many times?
Or could this be the psu failing?
The fan was only replaced about 3 months ago.
The system was previously 1gb but one of the 512mb ram modules also stoped working about a month ago.

#12 BigPat1981

BigPat1981
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 01 July 2010 - 06:47 PM

I forgot to mention i have an Ide cable coming in the mail so that will be the first thing i try.

#13 BigPat1981

BigPat1981
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 11 July 2010 - 09:49 PM

Recieved the hard drive IDE cable in the mail today. First time i connected it and turned on my PC it only went as far as the OPTIMA screen which is the brand name of my PC. So i turned off then back on and now my PC seems to be working again. I hope this has fixed the problem.
Thanks to every one for all your help.
I will let you know if i have any further problems.

#14 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,264 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:06 AM

Posted 12 July 2010 - 07:16 AM

Glad you seem to have resolved it...if things go awry, you know where we are :thumbsup:. Happy computing :flowers:.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users