Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Running Combofix without prompts (silent mode)?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Furvy

Furvy

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:28 PM

Posted 01 July 2010 - 08:31 AM

Now PLEASE PLEASE, before you read this post Quietman7, I UNDERSTAND that "You should not be using Combofix unless instructed to do so by a Malware Removal Expert. etc etc". Well, I am about as much of a malware expert as you can get in the field so please save your copy-paste response. I wish to ask you a real question about your program.

So anyways, I work at a local PC shop and have been using Combofix for some time now and it has just about always prevailed on 32-bit machines. However, I have one small gripe about it and that is all the warnings and prompts and beeps and such that Combofix puts out every time that I run it. Is there some sort of "silent mode" switch than I can run Combofix with where it won't prompt me for the disclaimer, downloading of recovery console, and won't blast my customers' laptop speakers with *BEEP BEEP* several times before it finally runs? That would be absolutely wonderful and I would even donate some real money to make this happen if this option doesn't exist already.

PS: I understand that I can disable the BEEPS by disabling the System device called "Beep" (Again, I am a computer tech), but it would be awesome if there was just a silent mode.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,390 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:28 PM

Posted 01 July 2010 - 10:04 AM

I wish to ask you a real question about your program.

sUBs is the creator of ComboFix, not me.

We do not offer advice on how to run combofix on your computer unless we asked you to run it or there is a problem with your computer that is caused by running it...

Post #3 by Grinler, Site Admin

:thumbsup: Questions about ComboFix and how it works:

...discussions pertaining to how Combofx works, what it can or cannot do, what the log results mean, any future plans, updates, etc is not available to the public in order to safeguard and protect the integrity of the tool from malware writers. As such, the developer does not want his tool discussed outside of private forums and therefore we cannot answer specific questions. The only public information that is available can be found in this authorized guide: How to use ComboFix

ComboFix usage, Questions, Help? - Look here

Safeguarding the tool from malware writers is important so that we can continue to use it without attackers having knowledge how to defeat it. Everything we discuss can be read by the bad guys. Yes, they read these threads looking for clues on how to circumvent our tools. We don't want to provide any information they can use against us. That's the decision by the creator of ComboFix and we will abide by that decision so it should not be taken personal.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#3 Furvy

Furvy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:28 PM

Posted 01 July 2010 - 10:57 AM

Well anyways, Combofix is a REALLY REALLY great tool and makes my job 5x easier than if it didn't exist. I hope that you guys continue to develop it into a better and possibly more user-friendly product. Out of the 2 or 300 machines I have used Combofix on, none of them have been rendered unbootable by it. I really think that Combofix can be made out to be just another great antimalware tool that everyone uses like Malwarebytes instead of this scary industrial-strength tool which is really really powerful but should only be used by trained experts and in special situations.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users