Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Power supply fan replacement

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Eric212

Eric212

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:34 AM

Posted 01 July 2010 - 07:34 AM

Hi,

Yesterday my computer at work started groweling at me pretty loudly, I pulled the side off of the machine and determined it was the fan in the power supply that was the culprit. This machine is not under warranty anymore.

The computer is a Dell Vostro 200 that is approx 2 years old.

The 3" fan I pulled out of the power supply says the following on it:

ADDA model AD0812US-A70GL
12V DC
.30A

So I figured no big deal, I'll go down to radio shack and get a new one, they must be pretty universal.... I brought the old one in with me and told them I needed something equivelant and they gave me one that looked pretty similar, but I noticed the amps did not match this fan. it is still 12V but only .16 amps.

I plugged it in there and fired up the machine but the fan is not spinning, it moves a tiny bit when I first turn it on, but does not spin.

Now I'm wondering if it is controlled by a thermostat and not designed to run all the time anyway?

any thoughts on if this fan should work or am I going to fry this thing? The power supply says: AC Bel PC6036 on the side.

Thanks alot for any info

Eric

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,378 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:34 AM

Posted 01 July 2010 - 10:04 AM

Hello and welcome to Bleepingcomputer.

I read your discription in your complaint.

I see where you listed .30 Amps for the origional cooling fan.

You also listed the Radio Shack cooling fan as .16 Amps.

I am just curious as to what the Amps is listed on the power supply's label for the 12 volt rail amps output, as far as I can see it is listed as 18.8 Amps output on the 12 volt rail.

Contact Radio Shack and tell them the specs of your power supply and see if they have a fan with a rating closer to your current power supply's rating.

Also can you please tell me the catalog number of the fan you bought from RS?

Here is a link to Radio Shack's on-line store for cooling fans, the stores do not stock every piece of hardware available.

http://www.radioshack.com/family/index.jsp...3071&s=null

Edited by MrBruce1959, 01 July 2010 - 10:06 AM.

Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 45 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#3 Eric212

Eric212
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:34 AM

Posted 01 July 2010 - 01:48 PM

Thanks for your reply.... the power supply does say 18A total on it

the part number for the fan I bought is 273-243

I wasnt sure if the amps on both fans has to match for it to work properly... or at all

Thanks,

#4 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• Members
  • 3,194 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:34 AM

Posted 01 July 2010 - 03:07 PM

Most of the ACBell PSU have OTP(over temperature protection) so it will shutdown automatically if overheated. Check your model's manual for details. I could not find any manual or specifications for that model over the internet. Most probably it has OVT and you wont be frying it but check to be sure.

If the fan is not spinning, you should check if you have connected it properly. The red wire should be given +12V and black wire be given ground. If you connect in reverse DC fans wont spin.

I dont know why you had .30 A fan in PSU. Most of the PSU I have opened up have .14A to .16A fans in it. That is the usual rating.

BTW, the noise is generated only in Slip bearing fans. The oil dries up or gets leaked and it starts to make awful noise. You should go for dual ball bearing fans. They spin smoothly and last longer.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users