Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can I input component video into my computer?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Danja

Danja

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:34 AM

Posted 30 June 2010 - 11:27 PM

Hello,

I'm building a computer from my dad as his old one has just died and he wants to upgrade. One of his hobbies is to connect his old analog video camera to his computer via component video and get/edit/compile old videos. On his old HP media center computer he could do this by inserting the component inputs into his TV tuner. However, I'm having trouble finding a TV tuner that will take component input. Does anyone here know of one?

Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 thrillhouse

thrillhouse

• Members
  • 1,040 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:34 AM

Posted 30 June 2010 - 11:29 PM

Does his camcorder have a firewire port? Most old ones do have a fire wire port and you can get a cable and do it that way. Works on my old Canon miniDV camera and my brother's vhs-c.

#3 Platypus

Platypus

• Global Moderator
  • 15,171 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:34 PM

Posted 01 July 2010 - 02:47 AM

Sadly, an analog camera won't have firewire, which is a digital transmission system.

Danja, do you mean component or composite? Component has 3 video connections (one luminance and two color difference), composite has a single video connection (the one that would normally go to the yellow RCA socket on a TV's AV input).

If you are meaning composite, possibly the simplest solution would be a USB video capture dongle.
Top 5 things that never get done:

#4 Danja

Danja
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:34 AM

Posted 01 July 2010 - 06:38 PM

Unfortunately, it is component and not composite. I did find this list; I think a few of these adapters have component in.

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/ca...0RghTlKD7V7egew

#5 thrillhouse

thrillhouse

• Members
  • 1,040 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:34 AM

Posted 06 July 2010 - 02:57 PM

do you have a pci slot for one of these?

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000AOUDYE/ref=as...ASIN=B000AOUDYE

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users