Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Network Connected, Device Working properly, ISP says it's on our end

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 swataz

swataz

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:09 PM

Posted 30 June 2010 - 11:19 PM

I am writing on behalf of my brother in law, who is having a problem getting Internet access seemingly out of nowhere.

Have troubleshooted the hell out of it, and even gotten the ISP involved and still nothing.

IP settings are correct, Modem is working properly, and ping tests seem to indicate the NIC is ok but yet no Internet access. Other PC in the house on same drop line has no issues.

Will try hooking it up via USB or seeing if my laptop will connect therefore ruling out external factors, but until then i was curious if anyone had some ideas or thoughts.

I know I am leaving out a lot, but any help is welcomed.

Edited by swataz, 30 June 2010 - 11:20 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,573 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:09 AM

Posted 30 June 2010 - 11:25 PM

You could try these:

http://www.cexx.org/lspfix.htm
http://www.spychecker.com/program/winsockxpfix.html
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#3 Retirednow

Retirednow

• Members
  • 121 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:09 PM

Posted 01 July 2010 - 12:20 AM

Are you conecting via hardwire or Wireless? Look at the Device Manager and see if you have any red x's or yellow flags next to your network adapter. If you do, get the driver cd that came with your pc you need to install the drivers for the adapter. If you do not have that cd, you need to go to your motherboards web site and get the drivers for your motherboard. Open a command prompt and type the following without the quotes and paste the results back here, "ipconfig /all".

#4 swataz

swataz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 01 July 2010 - 09:45 AM

Are you conecting via hardwire or Wireless? Look at the Device Manager and see if you have any red x's or yellow flags next to your network adapter. If you do, get the driver cd that came with your pc you need to install the drivers for the adapter. If you do not have that cd, you need to go to your motherboards web site and get the drivers for your motherboard. Open a command prompt and type the following without the quotes and paste the results back here, "ipconfig /all".

Thanks for the responses...this is hard wired, right from the modem.

The network devices, in this case the NIC is all working properly with no red Xs or yellow signs to my knowledge. I spent an hour trying to troubleshoot over the phone last night, trying everything I could think of. Making sure that the IP address and DNS were being don automatically, etc. I tried to have him copy did the results of the ipconfig /all last night but he is really lost when it comes to getting around a PC and that failed. I will try to do this later when I see the thing in person.

#5 swataz

swataz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 01 July 2010 - 03:10 PM

Ok I am a little angry with myself at the moment.

I did a little reverse troubleshooting. That is, out of sequence troubleshooting.

I brought my laptop with me and hooked it up to the network cable that came directly from the modem. No internet/network connection. Ok, great, now I am pretty sure the issue is from the modem on BACK, so I can bring the PC down to the OTHER modem he has (long story but he hasn't strung the CAT 5 and wireless systems don't work for some reason in his house teh way it is configured). After all, the other PC on the other modem works just fine, and if it is a modem on back to the pole issue, it HAS to work.

Problem is, I decide to do this AFTER I effed around with a Winsock fixer and then went and reset the PC's IP settings to default. I am now very angry with myself because this is the ipconfig /all reading (NOTE THE ?? now where the IP readinsg once were, according to my phone convo last night with the owner of this PC):

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Broadcom NetXtreme 57xx Gigabit Cont
roller
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-1A-A0-1A-4A-BB
Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
Autoconfiguration IP Address. . . : 169.254.130.209
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.0.0
IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : ?
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . :
DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : ?
?
?

Tunnel adapter Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : FF-FF-FF-FF-FF-FF-FF-FF
Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No
IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : ?
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . :
NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Disabled

C:\Documents and Settings\perry>

Please help me...maybe it is time to 'turn back the clock', if THAT even is active.

Edited by swataz, 01 July 2010 - 03:11 PM.

#6 rosiesdad

rosiesdad

• Members
  • 220 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:09 PM

Posted 01 July 2010 - 04:49 PM

First, what type of connection is this? Is it DSL, cable, or dial up.

There can be only ONE MODEM on a set up, (except dial up-then only one computer can be online at a time)
If you are calling a router a modem, thats one thing, but one modem (cable or DSL) is all that will work.

#7 milesz

milesz

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 01 July 2010 - 07:19 PM

I have fixed 5 computers this week that had viruses which changed the internet explorer's settings to a proxy. When this happens, internet connectivity goes down only on the affected computer. This could be your issue. To see if it is... Go to IE >>> TOOLS>>>INTERNET OPTIONS>>> CONNECTIONS tab>>>LAN SETTINGS and makes sure there are no check marks active or grayed out in the PROXY SERVER section. If there is, you have found part of your problem.

I then recommend running Malwarebytes and Housecall.

Edited by milesz, 01 July 2010 - 07:22 PM.

#8 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,613 posts
  •  

Posted 01 July 2010 - 07:25 PM

Make sure, your computer is set to obtain IP address automatically.
1. Go Start>Settings>Control Panel (Vista/7 users: Start>Control Panel)
2. Double click Network Connections (Vista/7 users: Network and Sharing Center)
3. Vista/7 users - From the list of tasks on the left, click Manage network connections.
4. For a wired network connection, right-click Local Area Connection, and then select Properties.
For a wireless network connection, right-click Wireless Network Connection, and then select Properties.
5. From the General tab (Vista/7 users: Networking tab), click Internet Protocol (TCP/IP), make sure it is checked, and then click Properties
6. Click Obtain an IP Address Automatically, and then click OK.

If that doesn't work...
Turn off computer. Disconnect router, and modem from power source for 1 minute. At the same time disconnect ethernet cable as well.
Reconnect everything.
Restart computer.

If that doesn't work, bypass router, and connect computer straight to the modem.

If that doesn't work...
Go Start>Run (Start search in Vista), type in:
cmd
Click OK (in Vista, while holding CTRL, and SHIFT, press Enter).

In Command Prompt window, type in following commands, and hit Enter after each one:
ipconfig /flushdns
ipconfig /registerdns
ipconfig /release
ipconfig /renew
net stop "dns client"
net start "dns client"

Restart computer.

If that doesn't work...
Go Start>Run (Start search in Vista), type in:
cmd
Click OK (in Vista, while holding CTRL, and SHIFT, press Enter).

At Command Prompt, type in:
netsh int ip reset reset.log
Hit Enter.
Type in:
netsh winsock reset catalog
Hit Enter.

Restart computer.

If that doesn't work...
Download, install, and run WinSockFix: http://www.softpedia.com/get/Tweak/Network...inSockFix.shtml (doesn't work in Vista)
Restart computer, and check again.

If that doesn't work...
Download Dial-A-Fix (DAF) (doesn't work in Vista):
http://wiki.lunarsoft.net/wiki/Dial-a-fix#...2C_and_articles

Have XP CD available in case DAF needs a file. Likely not!

Check all boxes on the screen (clear any restrictions if it shows any)
Then click GO!

When the entire page is finished click the HammerHead at bottom to go to the second DAF page.

Here, one at a time, do the below:

Reinstall BITS
Reinstall Windows Firewall
Repair Permissions
Reset networking

Watch for any File not found or other errors and make note as this may lead to the fix!

Restart computer.

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

#9 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here
  • Local time:07:09 PM

Posted 01 July 2010 - 07:28 PM

Have you checked NETWORK CONNECTION from Control Panel to make sure the Local Area Connection is enabled?

The solution is probably not something as simple as enabling the connection, but I wanted to throw it out to you.

Edited by Queen-Evie, 01 July 2010 - 07:29 PM.

#10 swataz

swataz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 02 July 2010 - 08:51 PM

Wow, thanks so much for all the responses folks!

We eventually got the machine to work using the USB connection directly from the modem (and to answer an earlier response, there are no routers in this house, and there are two separate line 'drops' for two modems).

He just needed connectivity and there is still the very real possibility the NIC card is malfunctioning so I will revisit at a later date.

Again, my thanks for everyone's help.

#11 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,613 posts
  •  

Posted 02 July 2010 - 11:31 PM

Thanks for posting back :thumbsup:

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users