Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Advice on a new laptop. help please

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 AndersonPhoto

AndersonPhoto

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:52 AM

Posted 30 June 2010 - 10:40 PM

ok, so ive had HP all my life and ive been told that sony or samsung is better. now im not a huge computer enthusiast but i havnt ever heard samsung being spoken of as a top seller.

Ive gone into my local best buy and ive looked at 2 laptops recently that i really think would fit what i need. Im a photographer and a music lover so i have some specific needs.

What I need from a laptop:
-Lots of storage. preferably 500GB or more
-lots of RAM. preferably 4GB or more (upgradeable to 8 prefered)
-fast processor. (im looking at the Intel i5 or i7 or would like something comparable)
-large screen. (15.6" or larger as i will be showing clients their photos on it)
-decent battery life. more than 2 hours.

these are the two ive looked at

Sony - VPCF126FM/B selling for 1349.99 US
-i7-740QM Processor w/ Turboboost
-Windows 7 Home Premium 64-Bit
-6GB DDR3 RAM
-640GB HDD
-16.4" screen
-NVIDIA GeForce GT330M Graphics card w/ 1GB Dedicated Memory

Samsung - NP-R580-JSB1US selling for 746.99 US
-i5-430M Processor w/ Turboboost
-Windows 7 Home Premium 64-Bit
-4GB RAM
-500GB
-15.6" screen
-Built-in Bluray player w/ HDMI output
-NVIDIA GeForce GT 310M Graphics with 512MB GDDR3 Dedicated Memor

I like the looks of these two. price is a bit of an issue with the Sony so im leaning more towards the Samsung because of price, but again, ive never heard them being a top contender. Please give me your opinion on which is better.

Also, If you know of a laptop that would suit my needs better than either of these and is reasonably priced, please let me know what it is and where to find it. or at least a model number.

Thank you all for your time and efforts in this. I really appreciate it. :blink:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 thrillhouse

thrillhouse

• Members
  • 1,040 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:52 AM

Posted 30 June 2010 - 11:07 PM

that samsung has no L3 cache and a small L2 so I wouldn't get it. The sony seems overpriced but good.

I like this one:

ASUS K72F A1 - Core i3 2.26 GHz - 17.3 " - 4 GB Ram - 500 GB HDD

2.26GHz Intel Core i3-350M Processor
4GB of DDR3 1066MHz SDRAM, 2 slots, 8GB Max
500GB Hard Drive (5400 RPM); Super Multi Optical Disk Drive; Wi-Fi 802.11bgn
17.3-Inch HD+ LED LCD Display; 0.3MP Webcam; HDMI Port; Intel GMA HD
Windows 7 Home Premium (64 bit) Operating System

http://www.buy.com/retail/product.asp?sku=...tingid=76407387

$758 shipped

Edited by thrillhouse, 30 June 2010 - 11:09 PM.

#3 Mariella

Mariella

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 05 August 2010 - 11:00 AM

Have you considered the Gateway ID series? I, too, am considering the VAIO, but the Gateway ID seems comparable.

#4 gamemaster1494

gamemaster1494

• Members
  • 99 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:52 AM

Posted 07 August 2010 - 04:00 PM

Toshiba. Go Toshiba. Their computers are great quality. You could try ebay and buy from a store on there. Thats where i got mine. Its working great, and i love it. Got it for 240 bucks. well worth it. =)

#5 Oseyerus13

Oseyerus13

• Members
  • 503 posts
  •  

Posted 09 August 2010 - 12:52 AM

Biggest thing I would recommend, especially since you said you wanted decent battery life, is that, whatever laptop you choose, try to find an extended battery on the company's site. The more powerful the system, the larger the drain, so you'll want the extra battery capacity.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users