Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

i5 Quad Core, or AMD Quad Core

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 Steadyhndz

Steadyhndz

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:22 AM

Posted 30 June 2010 - 08:41 PM

Basically I'm having a hard time choosing between the i5 Quad Core or an AMD Quad Core. Both are very nice processors and I keep getting multiple opinions on which one to get and for different reasons, some are customer statistics, some are factual proofs and other opinions are based on experience. I'm a hardcore gamer kind of, and I play games like Battlefield Bad Company 2 (I can't play right now because my FPS is so bad) and I also play WoW (When I raid I'm at about 5fps which really makes it hard to play) Right now I'm running these specs

Intel Pentium D 2.8 Ghz DualCore (*)
Corshair 4GB 800MHz (DDR2)
Abit Fatal1ty Motherboard i-f90hd
BFG 250 GTS 512MB
Coolermaster GX 650Watt PSU
Coolermaster CM690

As you can see the first 3 parts are outdated (especially the CPU) and I really want to upgrade. I really want an i7, but it's a bit overkill right now, so I thought I would go with an i5 until I saw the price for the i5 Quadcore, so I started looking at AMD Quad Cores, but I did my research first and asked a few people and I got different opinions on which one to get. Then I thought that I should upgrade my RAM while I'm at it, and especially after I found out that all "i" series motherboards are all DDR3 and not DDR2.

So I'm upgrading the motherboard, CPU, and RAM, and I don't know which one to go with. I have about 300$ total right now, but I am selling some stuff on Craigslist to make more money. To get the i5 with the Motherboard and RAM, it'll cost a minimum of 400$, and if I went with the AMD Quadcore it would cost a minimum of 300$ and I don't know what to go with. I don't have a job which makes this decision 10x harder because I want to spend my money wisely.
So can you guys help me out maybe? Is the i5 really worth an extra 100$, or should I save 100$ by getting the AMD Quadcore. Just keep in mind this computer is used for school work and gaming. Not much video editing but I may get into that someday.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:22 AM

Posted 30 June 2010 - 10:28 PM

Welcome to the forums!!!!

I usually go for whichever processor offers the best value versus performance that fits within my budget. For a gaming rig, I suggest a CPU that is a quad core, if you can afford it, that has a 2.8 GHz. clock. Looking at Intel's lineup, that would be the i7 860 or, if you want to break my semi-rule the i5 750. Not all games are designed for quad's and thus they may be limited in terms of clock speed, hence the 2.8 GHz., and you could use a dual core setup if money is really tight. If most of the games you play are limited to two cores, a quad may be overkill but you can get a quad now to handle new games when they come out. A quad may also be a better idea if you keep PC's for more than three years as they will not become obsolete quite as quickly. Once you start gaming at higher resolutions, the i5 750 and the Phenom II 955/965 (The 965 is more expensive though identical in terms of hardware) are nearly on par +/- 5 FPS. No one games at very low resolutions, at higher resolutions, the GPU is the workhorse. Here's what I suggest you do:

Motherboard: If money is tight and you don't want to use more than one graphics card, I would suggest the ASRock 770 EXTREME3 AM3 AMD 770 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0. The higher-end motherboards using the AMD 8xx chipset might be out of your price range. All AMD motherboards for the AM3 socket, most of the good ones anyway, will take only DDR3 RAM. If you want to use more than one GPU in Crossfire, which only works with ATI/AMD cards, I would go for the GIGABYTE GA-790XTA-UD4 AM3 AMD 790X.

CPU: One of the best AMD quads you can get is the AMD Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition Deneb 3.2GHz. It is not as fast as the 965, which is 200 MHz. faster, but otherwise is identical in every other way. You can easily overclock this CPU to the 965 levels and beyond with ease since it is a Black Edition CPU. If you want to save even more cash, you can go down to the AMD Phenom II X4 945 Deneb 3.0GHz, but it isn't Black Edition. If you want an inexpensive dual core, the AMD Phenom II X2 555 Black Edition Callisto 3.2GHz is also good.

Memory: This is simple, you can only use DDR3 in these motherboards. Therefore, the G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 should be used.

This should put you at around $300. Remember, you do need to install Windows again and depending on your Windows license, you may also need to repurchase a new copy to comply with the licensing. There is nothing technically blocking you from reinstalling and OEM copy of Windows, though.

Edited by DJBPace07, 06 July 2010 - 09:54 PM.

3939.png

#3 Steadyhndz

Steadyhndz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 30 June 2010 - 10:37 PM

I just made a wishlist on newegg of the RAM you put in, the first motherboard you put in, and the Quad Core at 3.0 (not 3.2) and it's perfect with my budget right now. I'll have to see how much money I can make in the next few days so I know I have at least 50$ after I buy this lol

#4 Zebug

Zebug

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 01 July 2010 - 02:27 PM

Welcome to the forums!!!!

This should put you at around $300. Remember, you do need to install Windows again and depending on your Windows license, you may also need to repurchase a new copy to comply with the licensing. There is nothing technically blocking you from reinstalling and OEM copy of Windows, though.

Just wanted to make sure you saw this part too that DJBPace mentioned. That could be an extra $100 right there if you have to buy another copy of windows.

#5 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 01 July 2010 - 09:57 PM

Zebug is right if you use an OEM/System Builder's copy of Windows. The license for those versions pair it to a specific motherboard. If you replace the motherboard, you get a new license, a.k.a. repurchase Windows. Note that this only applies if you are using an OEM or System Builder copy of Windows, full, boxed, retail copies do not have this restriction. Technically speaking, there's nothing preventing you from simply reusing an OEM copy and activating via telephone, it is only a contractual limitation. The OEM copies of Windows 7 cost $100 and you may be able to get discounts through work, school, or an MSDN or TechNet subscription.

3939.png

#6 Steadyhndz

Steadyhndz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 02 July 2010 - 01:44 AM

I've got a copy of windows that I can use. I might be able to get Windows 7 for free now with the student discount, or at least half the price.

#7 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,755 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:22 AM

Posted 02 July 2010 - 02:23 AM

whats important is you find one that your happy with. Personally, I am an AMD fan boy, I love AMD quads, especially for gaming. Intel does have the edge in video editing and graphics editing, but I think AMD handles the games out there a bit better, but thats my opinion, I have seen some really nice intel CPUs out there as well. My brother has an i7 and he loves it. course your looking at the guy whos still using a duo core, but thats budget reasons right now. Anyway, I would find one that you would be happy with that would do the work you need it to, either AMD or i5 would be a good option, like previously mentioned, if your into gaming I would advise something at least 2.8 ghz or faster.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#8 Steadyhndz

Steadyhndz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 02 July 2010 - 09:05 PM

I'm not even with a duo core lol, I'm running a Pentium D Dual Core, first problem it's a heat machine, 2nd problem, the technology in it is horrible and 3rd of all I've had it for 5 years. It's time to upgrade lol

I need some more money and I'm gonna go with that other CPU (3.2GHz) cause the 3.0Ghz one went up in price

#9 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,755 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:22 AM

Posted 02 July 2010 - 10:54 PM

I like the pentium D 930 I have, at least for what Im using it for-experimenting with linux. Linux, particularly OpenSuSe which I use a lot-seems to just plain like Pentium processors for some reason, but for high end gaming, they are definetly a little on the weak side.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#10 Steadyhndz

Steadyhndz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 05 July 2010 - 02:14 PM

I actually have about 400$ now so I'm going to upgrade the motherboard and RAM that Pace recommended and hopefully buy it sometime this week.

#11 Drew555

Drew555

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 06 July 2010 - 10:47 AM

I personally recommend AMD rather than intel because of my experiences with both AMD and Intel processors. i have a laptop that was built to run Win 98 that had an AMD processor and i had a desktop built to run XP with a P4 and i put XP on the old laptop and it ran faster than the desktop and the desktop had 4 times the ram that the laptop had. the only modifications that i made to the laptop was that i put in a 20GB hard drive in place of the 4GB hard drive that it had in it. also in terms of price AMD is much less expensive AMD is from about $100 to $180 and sometimes you can get a deal on one and get it for $80 while intel is usually between $140 and $220 on a deal you might get one for $110. The one downside to AMD in my opinion is that you have a smaller selection of motherboards to choose from.

#12 Steadyhndz

Steadyhndz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2010 - 05:36 PM

Ok so now I have another question for you guys, I have about 340$ to spend on this, and I'm getting another 70$ this week, but I may buy the parts in a couple hours but I want some advice just to make sure this is all going to work properly

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16820231274

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16819103809

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16813157195

I'm buying those 3 parts, and my question is will the RAM work properly with that motherboard so far it should from looking at it, Frequency is right, and slot is right. and the CPU should work, both AM3. This is my power supply and I believe it should work with the motherboard I'm planning on buying.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...lermaster%20650

#13 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2010 - 11:04 PM

All of that looks like it should work, but remember, that isn't a complete system and you need more parts to get it up and running.

3939.png

#14 Steadyhndz

Steadyhndz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2010 - 07:41 PM

So I installed the parts and everything, and I'm getting a 0000007E Bluescreen, so now I'm just waiting for my brother to get home and get his friends Windows 7 disc

I do have a question though, when I was going through the Bios the RAM Frequency was only at 667Mhz, almost 1000Mhz below of what the RAM should be running at, how do I fix this?

#15 RainbowSix

RainbowSix

• Members
  • 604 posts
  •  

Posted 21 July 2010 - 05:33 PM

The speed is split between the two RAM sticks. 667*2≈1333
That is completely normal as far as I know. I have DDR2 800 and mine run at 400MHz.

Edited by RainbowSix, 21 July 2010 - 05:34 PM.

[ Antec 1200 v3 | Gigabyte GA-890FXA-UD5 rev. 3.1 | AMD Phenom II x6 1090T (overclocked to 4GHz) | Corsair XMS3 4x4GB DDR3 1600 | COOLER MASTER Silent Pro 600W & Visiontek Juice Box 450W | SAMSUNG 470 Series 64GB SSD | WD Caviar Black 640GB & Samsung Spinpoint 2TB HDD | 2x XFX Radeon HD 5770 in Crossfire | SAMSUNG 22X DVD±RW | Microsoft Windows 7 Professional 64-bit]

CompTIA A+ certified
Stringfellow Electronics

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users