Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How should I configure my drives?

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 RADIUM-V Interactive

RADIUM-V Interactive

• Members
  • 159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:17 PM

Posted 30 June 2010 - 03:56 PM

Hi all,

I hope you can help me figure out which type of RAID to use.

This is the hardware I'm using:
AsRock k10n750sli-110db Motherboard (NVidia nForce 750a)
AMD Phenom II x4 940 Black Edition 3.0GHz
OCZ Platinum Rev. 2 DDR2-800 4GB RAM
XFX GeForce 9800GTX
I'm using Windows 7 Ultimate x64.

Here's the situation. These are the hard drives I've got:
500GB 7200RPM SATA 3.0gb/s 16mb cache Hitachi HDP725050GLA360
500GB 7200RPM SATA 3.0gb/s 16mb cache Seagate Barracuda ST3500630NS
320GB 7200RPM SATA 3.0gb/s 16mb cache Western Digital GreenPower WD3200AAVS
200GB 7200RPM IDE (idk the cache) Western Digital Caviar WD2000BB-00GUC0

I'm guessing I can't use the 200gb drive since it's IDE, right? What RAID mode would give me the best performance-to-size ratio? Right now I'm in RAID0 with the two 500gb drives, but I'm not sure if it's configured correctly because the read speed isn't very fast.

Are there any programs I can use to test the speed of my current setup to compare if/when I change it? What should I change it to? I listen to a lot of music, play a lot of video games, design website applications (MSSQL but I only run it while working) and I try to keep my pc running efficiently. Any help is greatly appreciated :thumbsup:

Also, there are firmware updates for some of these drives, but I can't seem to flash the drives while they're in RAID. What's the best way to do this?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users