Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Winsock provider catalog/can't connect to internet

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 mikep7394

mikep7394

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:02 AM

Posted 30 June 2010 - 03:21 PM

I cannot connect to the internet. Network Diagnostics says "Windows has detected a problem with the Winsock provider catalog on this computer. This catalog allows programs to communicate with this computer across the network...."

The computer was running ok, but I ran a full scan with Avast Free Antivirus. It found and removed the following problem - Win32:Alureon-FZ, file name C:\Windows\system32\drivers\ipsec.sys.

The Network Diagnostics asks "Would you like Windows to reset the catalog to the default configuration? I have clicked yes, restarted, and the problem is not fixed.

I have Windows XP home edition, SP3. I don't know what other information you would need but please ask and I'll do my best to provide it.

Thanks in advance, Mike

EDIT: Moved from XP to Am I Infected forum ~ Hamluis.

Edited by hamluis, 30 June 2010 - 04:29 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 mikep7394

mikep7394
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 01 July 2010 - 09:39 PM

Can anyone help me? Going on day 3 with no internet and no clue as to why.

#3 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 72,760 posts
  •  

Posted 01 July 2010 - 11:06 PM

Did you delete or quarantine the Ipsec file.?

We may need to put it back.

Try this--open control, internet options, connections tab, lan settings, uncheck the box next to "use proxy...."
OR
Go to Start ... Run and type in cmd
A dos Window will appear.
Type in the dos window: netsh winsock reset
Click on the enter key.
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#4 mikep7394

mikep7394
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 02 July 2010 - 03:36 PM

Thanks.. I checked and use proxy was not checked. I have tried to do the netsh winsock reset a couple times and that does not work either.

I'm stumped. It seems like the file that Avast removed was maybe a critical component because everything was working fine up to that point.

#5 mikep7394

mikep7394
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 02 July 2010 - 03:39 PM

By the way I had Avast delete that file. I've checked in the scan log and there is no option to restore it. Can that be done manually?

#6 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 72,760 posts
  •  

Posted 02 July 2010 - 03:43 PM

Try running SFC

Please run System File Checker sfc /scannow... For more information on this tool see How To Use Sfc.exe To Repair System Files

NOTE for Vista users..The command needs to be run from an elevated Command Prompt.
Click Start, type cmd into the Start/Search box,
right-click cmd.exe in the list above and select 'Run as Administrator'

You will need your operating system CD handy.

Open Windows Task Manager....by pressing CTRL+SHIFT+ESC

Then click File.. then New Task(Run)

In the box that opens type sfc /scannow ......There is a space between c and /

Click OK
Let it run and insert the XP CD when asked.
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#7 mikep7394

mikep7394
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 02 July 2010 - 03:46 PM

Will I lose programs/files/pictures when I do this?

#8 mikep7394

mikep7394
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 02 July 2010 - 04:01 PM

I'm running the SFC now, I'll post results when done.

#9 mikep7394

mikep7394
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 02 July 2010 - 04:08 PM

The SFC completed. It didn't ask me to put in the CD, and it did not fix the problem.

#10 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 72,760 posts
  •  

Posted 02 July 2010 - 04:15 PM

I will ask someone about the file. We have XP here?

Edited by boopme, 02 July 2010 - 04:16 PM.

#11 mikep7394

mikep7394
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 02 July 2010 - 04:24 PM

Yes XP home, SP3

#12 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,260 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:02 AM

Posted 02 July 2010 - 04:52 PM

Hi :thumbsup:.

A couple of things we can try. It looks like resetting the TCP/IP setting may clear up things.

See http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/sear...=clnk&gl=us.

It may seem complicated, but it's really not. I had to do this a couple of years ago (which means that all you have to do is follow the instructions :flowers:).

The error message that you receive has two listed alternatives for solving...I'm not sure why sfc /scannow did not install the correct file...unless you used a CD that did not reflect SP3...but this is the alternative way of replacing ipsec.sys.

Louis

#13 mikep7394

mikep7394
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 02 July 2010 - 06:57 PM

That didn't work.

When I click 'Diagnose Connection Problems' and click View Diagnostic Log, the errors I get are

Provider entry MSAFD Tcpip [TCP/IP] could not perform simple loopback communication. Error 10050.
Provider entry MSAFD Tcpip [UDPIP] could not perform simple loopback communication. Error 10050.
Provider entry RSVP UDP Service Provider could not perform simple loopback communication. Error 10091.
Provider entry RSVP TCP Service Provider could not perform simple loopback communication. Error 10091.
A connectivity problem exists with an installed LSP.

Not sure if this is helpful but just wanted to throw it out there.

#14 mikep7394

mikep7394
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 09 July 2010 - 05:21 PM

It's been over a week since I've gotten a response... I guess you've given up. Thanks anyways.

#15 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 72,760 posts
  •  

Posted 09 July 2010 - 07:49 PM

I feel this is a driver issue or even your network card is bad or loose.

To rule out malware you need to make a disk.

Avira AntiVir Rescue System

Tutorial for Avira Rescue CD

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users