Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Screen flashes randomly

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Venek

Venek

• Members
  • 293 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:17 AM

Posted 30 June 2010 - 02:45 PM

Hard to tell if it's a Windows 7 64-bit or video card related issue, or possibly both. In any case, my screen will occasionally blink out for a few seconds, and then come back. Sometimes it repeats it again quickly, but no more than twice to my recollection. It doesn't happen all the time, but it's frequent enough that it's annoying and concerns me a bit.

Wonder if anyone else ran into this issue? I'm guessing there's a glitch with the video driver software and Windows 7 64-bit OS. I have the latest drivers, but this problem has occurred for the last couple of drivers. Maybe it's the SLI configuration?

Everything's up to date on my computer, and here's the rig specs:

EVGA nForce 680i SLI motherboard (with latest BIOS, of course)
2 EVGA Akimbo GeForce 8800GT Superclocked video cards in SLI mode
6gb Corsair Dominator RAM at rated specs (PC8500, I believe)
2.4ghz Core 2 Duo CPU (E6600) overclocked to 3.4ghz

I monitor the temps all the time and all temps are normal (no higher than 60 for the video cards).

Thanks!
UberGeeks of the world...UNITE!

Uh guys? Wanna take your eyes off that screen for a second? Raise the mice? Battle cry?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,378 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:17 AM

Posted 30 June 2010 - 04:55 PM

OK it is common for most people to reply with your card is dying, seriously I am sick of seeing replies like this.
I am from the electronics field with a HS diploma for electronics.

With my credentials fully exposed to you, the thing you should be looking at at this point is number 1, a card which needs to be removed from the slot and returned to the slot. Why? To see if the connection is being affected by a corroded contact. Happens all the time with Zero Insertion Force (ZIF) connections.

Number 2, make sure the driver you are using is not a buggy one, or corrupted. Buggy drivers do reach final releases and sometimes affect some systems, while not affecting a majority of them.
Try a different driver version to see if an older one causes the same effects or clears the problem up.

Make sure the drivers you do use are Microsoft approved and certified to work with Windows 64 BIT Operating Systems.

Avoid BETA drivers as these are not always stable or bug free versions.

Please post back if you have tired anything I suggested above and let me know if they helped resolve the problem, or failed.

Good luck and kind regards.

Edited by MrBruce1959, 30 June 2010 - 04:57 PM.

Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 45 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#3 Venek

Venek
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 293 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:17 AM

Posted 30 June 2010 - 09:16 PM

OK it is common for most people to reply with your card is dying, seriously I am sick of seeing replies like this.
I am from the electronics field with a HS diploma for electronics.

With my credentials fully exposed to you, the thing you should be looking at at this point is number 1, a card which needs to be removed from the slot and returned to the slot. Why? To see if the connection is being affected by a corroded contact. Happens all the time with Zero Insertion Force (ZIF) connections.

Number 2, make sure the driver you are using is not a buggy one, or corrupted. Buggy drivers do reach final releases and sometimes affect some systems, while not affecting a majority of them.
Try a different driver version to see if an older one causes the same effects or clears the problem up.

Make sure the drivers you do use are Microsoft approved and certified to work with Windows 64 BIT Operating Systems.

Avoid BETA drivers as these are not always stable or bug free versions.

Please post back if you have tired anything I suggested above and let me know if they helped resolve the problem, or failed.

Good luck and kind regards.

Appreciate it. I'll have to try the first option you suggested since I know it's not the drivers doing it (since the problem repeated itself on the last few versions). I'm always careful to download the 64-bit version and never the beta. You may have a point there about contacts, although I'm thinking maybe a piece of dust is interfering, especially since that happened with my RAM not responding one time. Don't feel like taking apart my computer just for re-seating the video cards, but I'll do that when I need to clean out my fan filters.

Thanks again.
UberGeeks of the world...UNITE!

Uh guys? Wanna take your eyes off that screen for a second? Raise the mice? Battle cry?

#4 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,378 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:17 AM

Posted 30 June 2010 - 11:08 PM

Not a problem, either way please come back and post to this thread the out come either way.

Good luck!

Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 45 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users