Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

XP Recovery Console With SATA Drives

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 joseibarra

joseibarra

• Members
  • 1,180 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:50 AM

Posted 30 June 2010 - 02:27 PM

I was reviewing this article about how to boot Recovery Console from a home made CD:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/276527/how-to-create-a-bootable-xp-recovery-console-cd/

It is starting to look like it has some holes in it.

I like to get folks into RC to run chkdsk /r and maybe resolve some other common XP will not boot issues (missing hal.dll, fix your boot.ini, etc. - you know the ones...)

I don't have a SATA system to try to figure this out, so hopefully somebody already has or will help me get it, 'cause I ain't gettin' it.

I was thinking that using this method of getting into RC might not work on a system has SATA drives since (at least I'm pretty sure) that SATA drives need to have a driver(s) loaded before they can be accessed. If you don't load the drivers, you will not get far.

I see on my old IDE system if I use this RC CD I made, I can press F6 to load a floppy into drive A and get some storage (SATA) drivers. I don't have that setup but it looks like that would be what I needed to do if I had SATA drives.

What would be the method is trying to load RC on a SATA system or do I even need to worry about it...

If I have SATA drives, am I correct in thinking that trying to use this home made RC CD would not work without an additional step of pressing F6?

Would I have to press F6 when RC is loading and produce a floppy with SATA drivers to continue? A casual user may be unlikely to know what I am talking about when I say "now put in the floppy with your SATA drivers on it".

Would I be SOL for getting into RC to run chkdsk if I did not have a floppy with SATA drivers?

Is it true that XP can only install drivers via F6 from the A drive and what if I don't have a floppy that is the A drive?

What if my system has a SATA drive and only has USB ports - how would I boot RC and at the same time load up my SATA drivers to allow me to run chkdsk or fix my boot.ini?

I think my questions are still valid even if I have a genuine XP installation CD and SATA drives... how far would I get with a genuine bootable XP installation CD on a system that has SATA drives - would I have to also come up with an A drive and floppy that has the drivers to get into RC?

What happens if you try to boot RC on a SATA system and you don't press F6 - does it just get hung up somewhere along there way? What does it look like and where does it get hung? What is that last thing you see when it is hung up?

I would figure this out myself if I had the system to do it :thumbsup:

Edited by joseibarra, 30 June 2010 - 02:29 PM.

The mediocre teacher tells. The good teacher explains. The superior teacher demonstrates.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,728 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:50 AM

Posted 30 June 2010 - 02:55 PM

<<I was thinking that using this method of getting into RC might not work on a system has SATA drives since (at least I'm pretty sure) that SATA drives need to have a driver(s) loaded before they can be accessed. If you don't load the drivers, you will not get far.>>

But...the drivers are already loaded...if XP has been installed on a SATA drive. The RC only accesses the installation which has already taken place.

No issue at all, since the drivers have been loaded in order for the XP install to have taken place.

FWIW: It's only necessary to manually load SATA drivers...on older motherboards that do not employ "IDE emulation/simulation" which allows the XP install CD to see the SATA drive as a PATA drive for install purposes.

I have both SATA and PATA hard drives...I have XP installed on one system on a PATA drive, I have XP installed on a SATA drive on a different system. No manual input of drivers was necessary.

The same would apply if a user employed a controller card to boot the system. Since the drivers are already loaded and the system BIOS has already been changed to reflect the drive...there's no concern about drivers for the controller card or the hard drive.

Louis

#3 joseibarra

joseibarra
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,180 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:50 AM

Posted 19 July 2010 - 05:19 PM

Thanks, hamluis.

I believe you and will hopefully soon be able to try it myself. I only have limited experimentation facilities at the moment!

Sometimes I just have these questions...

Edited by joseibarra, 19 July 2010 - 05:22 PM.

The mediocre teacher tells. The good teacher explains. The superior teacher demonstrates.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users