Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Intermittent boot

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 BAR-0

BAR-0

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:22 PM

Posted 30 June 2010 - 12:35 PM

Four year old Gateway 3250S with XP/home. Problem is that computer won't boot and 4-wire cabinet fan comes on in hi-speed mode when computer is turned on. During normal start (when it does) fan comes on at low speed and then goes to hi-speed later after running for some time. Flexing the cpu fan tower, which also slightly flexes the motherboard, allows it to start.
Once properly booted it will run all day without problem.
I suspect this is a solder problem but don't have a clue where to look. Once booted, flexing as above does not cause further malfunction so my usual troubleshooting techniques can't be used.
Any and all thoughts and ideas will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
BAR-0

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:22 PM

Posted 30 June 2010 - 04:30 PM

Hello and welcome to Bleepingcomputer.

I have heard about and also seen your problem before.

Usually, but not always it is fixed by a simple unplugging and replugging plugs or expansion cards.

Sometimes flexing makes a connection happen that is failing do to the following: Loose plugs, corrosion build up on a connection, loose expansion cards, corrosion on the contacts on RAM/slots or slots where expansion cards are placed.

Oxidation is from a chemical reaction caused by a mixture of Oxygen, moisture and the differences between two unlike metals mated together by compression.

The object is to disturb this oxidation by making the two surfaces rub against each other, or by using a device such as a toothbrush to run the bristles through the slot, across the connectors and across the contacts to remove the white powder.

Remember those old ZIF Nintendo game consoles that required that special cleaning tool? That was Nintendo's biggest mistake was using ZIF connections between hardware and now they use DVD disks instead.

Sorry for the lecture, but I like to back up any theory I use here on Bleepingcomputer. :thumbsup:

So I would recheck all connections through out your motherboard and computer case, not only make sure they are secure, but also replug any or all connections where two metals mate to make a connection.
Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users