Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Not able to connect to the internet

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
2 replies to this topic

#1 WarrenP

WarrenP

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:05 PM

Posted 30 June 2010 - 12:14 PM

This seems like a simple one but for the life of me I can't figure out why it would connect. I had some kind of bug that would redirect my google searches and it also wouldn't let me update any software including mcafee, spybot, etc and I have a network between my desktop and my laptop, so I could share directories from my desktop and that too wasn't working. I saw on my laptop where the DNS should be obtained automatically, so I changed that setting and it then began letting me do updates and surf the net without being redirected (after cleaning the virus off). Upon rebooting it wouldn't let me connect to the internet. It keeping trying to acquire network address, but never did. I tried reloading the software that came with the linksys router with no luck. I tried reinstalling drivers for my intel network card, didn't work, uninstalled it completely and reinstalled the latest and it doesn't work, but was does work is the shared folders now.....so what gives, it lets me see the home network but it doesn't let me see the web.....my laptop hasn't had trouble getting the net the entire time. Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:05 AM

Posted 30 June 2010 - 05:51 PM

Hi - Give this a quick try -
  • Open Internet Explorer
  • Note: It MUST be Internet Explorer, not Firefox, Opera, Chrome or any other internet browser
  • Click on Tools at the top and select Internet Options
  • Note: If you do not see Tools, press the Alt key on your keyboard and it will show up
  • Click on the Connections tab
  • Click on the LAN settings button
  • Under Automatic configuration make sure that the box next to Automatically detect settings is checked, if it is not, then click the box next to it to check it
  • Click on the OK button to close the Local Area Network (LAN) Settings window
  • Click on the OK button to close the Internet Options window
Thank You -

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,758 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:05 PM

Posted 01 July 2010 - 09:34 AM

I split your HJT log as a aeparate post...and moved it to the appropriate forum...since I think there is a chance that your system is infected.

The created thread can be found at http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/328434/unable-to-connect-to-internet/.

Now that you have a malware log posted, I am closing this thread to prevent possible cofusion.

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 01 July 2010 - 09:37 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users