Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Thinking of getting iPod Touch

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Student01

Student01

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:10 AM

Posted 30 June 2010 - 11:32 AM

Okay, I've been thinking of getting a new MP3

Atm, so many people are using their phones as MP3s or iPods, iPod Touchs, and other MP3s.

Basically, i want an MP3 that can:
- Just copy and paste a music folder into the MP3 without the need of software.
- Have no built-in Speakers, or some smart built-in Speakers where if you accidently yanked out your earphones from the MP3 and the music just starts playing out loud, it pauses it or turns off or something equivalent.
- have a Voice-recorder

Any ideas on an MP3 that has these specifications?

Thx,

Student01

Posted Image

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Capn Easy

Capn Easy

• Members
  • 597 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:10 AM

Posted 30 June 2010 - 03:38 PM

If I had to pick one player that met all of your specs (and that I have personal experience with) it would be the Sansa Clip or Clip+ available at Amazon and other retailers. A new Clip with 4GB capacity should run you less than $40.

Some points to keep in mind are the compromises you'll be making.

If you just want to "Copy and Paste" music files into it, larger capacity drives will be hard to manage. Four GB of music is a lot of songs to try to keep track of. You can do it, but some software (a lot of it free) will make it a whole lot easier.

Voice recording on an MP3 player -- at least the ones I'm familiar with -- is pretty sketchy. If you're thinking of recording lectures, think about getting a dedicated recorder. I've never seen an MP3 player with a microphone jack, so you're further limited in not being able to use a directional mic. (I use a Sony TCM-200 standard cassette recorder for meetings -- it's not very impressive, but it works great.) I don't have any experience with digital voice recorders, but that might be the way to go if you need to move voice recordings via email, etc., but they'll be more expensive than the cassette.

If you really want to go with "Copy and Paste" and decide to stick with a smaller (1 or 2 GB) player, it's a commodity market. Places like Woot and Newegg offer refurb Sansa Clips in the $20 range pretty frequently (it's how I got mine). You can also find similar models from companies like Creative (such as the Creative Zen V+) in the same price range. I also own a couple "no name" players that use removable, rechargeable NiMH AAA batteries -- it can be convenient to keep an extra charged battery or two in your pocket in case the player dies mid-afternoon, and it's easier to recharge a AAA battery in places where USB ports are scarce. In this case, check out the cheap players at Newegg and Tiger Direct, as well as any big retailer.

And don't forget to budget for a decent pair of headphones -- sooner or later you're going to decide you need them!

EDIT: Sorry -- I just noticed you're from "Down Under." I don't know what the retailers or prices in Oz are like, but I assume Creative is available, and I'd hope Sansa is. Good luck, and happy hunting! :thumbsup:

Edited by Capn Easy, 30 June 2010 - 03:41 PM.

#3 Student01

Student01
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:10 AM

Posted 30 June 2010 - 09:48 PM

hey Capn' Easy!

Thx for all those tips! I was going to buy a Creative Zen MX because it basically follows my spec, Copy n Paste, Voice Recording, and no inbuilt speakers. But apparently their popularity has been dropping and the iPhones or iPods are being famous around here in Australia. I've been into stores and all i see is iPods practically every with not many signs of Creative or Sansa products and a few iRivers. I was told to get an iPod Touch because it's popular, i don't have to buy it overseas, i can have warranty here, and everyone pretty much uses it apart from the iPhone. for the voice recording on the iPod touch, there isn't any unless you buy a recorder accessory I think? and it does have an inbuilt speaker but i think its one of those smart inbuilt speakers where if you unplugged your earphones by accident, it'll pause immediately. Can I have anyone confirming that?

And i'm not too sure on how the musics are imported into this iPod touch, I believe you must use iTunes to import musics, but like i said before, i don't want to have the use of Software to chuck in music into my MP3. But if the process is easy, can you explain what are the steps like?

Btw, I own Seinheiser Earplugs and they are awesome :thumbsup:.

Posted Image

#4 Capn Easy

Capn Easy

• Members
  • 597 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:10 AM

Posted 30 June 2010 - 10:45 PM

I don't have any direct experience with Ipods -- other than my wife and kids having them.

On the other hand, my first MP3 player was a Creative Nomad Jukebox 2, back in 2002 I think. The hard disk pretty much died in 2006 and I replaced it with a Creative Zen Sleek Photo. (Creative seems to like long names.) That one passed away recently and I replaced it with a Zen Vision:M. All of these are hard disk based, and I use them while hiking, which seems to be hard on them. Also, all but the Jukebox were refurbs, so pretty heavily discounted.

I got a refurb 4GB Creative Zen V Plus a couple years ago and I've been very happy with it. Last January I got a great deal on a Creative Zen -- and it's by far my favorite.

Creative has lost market share lately, but they sound great and they're pretty durable. Hard disks aren't really meant to be bumping on my hip for years at a time, anyway.

I'd have no trouble recommending one -- especially if you can get a good price on a flash-based Zen or Zen V.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users