Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Virus Protection And Firewall

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 rlight

rlight

• Members
  • 257 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:50 PM

Posted 15 October 2005 - 07:28 PM

I am using a PC with Windows 2000 OS. For Virus Protection and Firewall, I am using Mcafee.
For months now, Mcafee will repeatedly become 'disabled', so I have to manually 'enable' the program.
This will occur 5 or 6 times a month. I have contacted Mcafee several times and their solution has been to uninstall the program and reinstall it. I have uninstalled & reinstalled it 4 or 5 times this has not corrected the problem.

Can someone recommend another program that will provide both Virus Protection and be a Firewall?

rlight

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:50 PM

Posted 15 October 2005 - 09:33 PM

I have also have had to uninstall and then reinstall McAffee after downloading new "engines" from them. It has continued to work once addressed though.

In answer to your request:
AVG is a very good antivirus program. They also have a paid version but the freeware program seems more than sufficient.
http://www.grisoft.com/us/us_index.php

ZoneAlarm SE is freeware and one of the original firewalls available and works flawlessly for most folks. They also have paid versions which add features - one of which is an AV program.
http://www.zonelabs.com/store/content/comp...;NONE?lid=ho_za

I see no particular reason why a suite (combo software) should be better than components from different companies. Your choice.

#3 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 16 October 2005 - 12:16 AM

I see no particular reason why a suite (combo software) should be better than components from different companies

I might go further and suggest there are many good reasons for not getting your fish and your bread at the same store:

1. Using applications designed and maintained for one particular purpose will yield better results, since each is developed to do one thing and one thing only.
2. You are not tied down to one souce for everything, but can experiment and determine which you prefer for each application.
3. If something happens to a combo program, it will effect every module. Having different applications to do different things avoids this problem.
4. In many cases, combo applications seem to have higher CPU and memory usage than running separate, but "leaner" programs.

Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#4 rlight

rlight
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 257 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:50 PM

Posted 16 October 2005 - 04:30 PM

So, if I decide to go with AVG and ZoneAlarm. Would I download these programs and then discontinue Mcafee or the other way around. :thumbsup:

rlight

#5 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 16 October 2005 - 05:49 PM

You should download the applications first.

Then install AVG and download the updates (there will be new definitions and perhaps some upgrades to the software as well) whilst still on-line.
Check on-line at McAfee to see if there are any "tricks" to uninstalling it; sometimes you need follow special procedures rather than just to a simple uninstall.

Then go OFF-line. Uninstall all of McAfee.
Install Z/A firewall. AVG is already installed, so just activate it.

Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#6 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 16 October 2005 - 10:39 PM

When you do it, you must be sure to remove all mcaffee files as they may conflict with AVG or any other AV program if they are left on the computer.

#7 webjoyz

webjoyz

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 17 October 2005 - 05:49 AM

You should download the applications first.

Then install AVG and download the updates (there will be new definitions and perhaps some upgrades to the software as well) whilst still on-line.
Check on-line at McAfee to see if there are any "tricks" to uninstalling it; sometimes you need follow special procedures rather than just to a simple uninstall.

Then go OFF-line. Uninstall all of McAfee.
Install Z/A firewall. AVG is already installed, so just activate it.

Regards,
John

hi'
reverse way ... uninstall mcafee and clean then reboot and install already dowloaded prog ZA and AVG ;)

francois

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,300 posts
  •  

Posted 17 October 2005 - 10:46 AM

You never stated what version of McAfee you are using.

Using older versions of an AV program is asking for trouble. Those AV engines are updated periodically for a reason and I presume that the new ones work better than the older ones.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users