Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Foxit Reader

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 Layback Bear

Layback Bear

• Members
  • 1,880 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:22 AM

Posted 30 June 2010 - 11:04 AM

I just got rid of Adobe Reader and downloaded Foxit Reader; WHAT A BAG OF WORMS.
Along with Foxit Reader came the Ask tool bar for what ever reason and loaded it into Firefox.
I lost Google as my home page. Used Revo and removed Ask any thing but it still stayed with Firefox.
Then I removed Foxit Reader with Revo and still no help it still is my search engine in Firefox and
I want Google. This is getting Layback Bear not so laded back. Then I used Ccleaner to remove all of
any thing I found with Ask and Foxit Reader, no help. Back to Revo and removed Mozilla Firefox and
downloaded Firefox fresh. Now things are working as they should be. I lost all my bookmarks and had to
reset all my colors ect. again. Yes I'm going back to using Adobe Reader.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 thomasjk

thomasjk

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:22 AM

Posted 30 June 2010 - 11:42 AM

The ASK toolbar and homepage change is presented to you during the install. Just uncheck the boxes to not use them and away you go.

#3 Layback Bear

Layback Bear
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,880 posts
  •  

Posted 30 June 2010 - 12:33 PM

I didn't see it, but now the next problem. Downloaded Adobe Reader but can't use it. The accept button is off screen and I have been unable to hit it so the program will complete. I have tried to many things to list them all but I will accept help.

#4 Layback Bear

Layback Bear
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,880 posts
  •  

Posted 30 June 2010 - 04:12 PM

I found this just now. http://www.sevenforums.com/system-security...reader-4-a.html
I think this will say it all.

#5 Layback Bear

Layback Bear
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,880 posts
  •  

Posted 30 June 2010 - 07:17 PM

Okay I figured out the problem. I forgot I had my display set to 150%. Put it back to 100% and hit accept in Adobe and went back to 150%. All this because of Foxit Reader.

#6 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,552 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:22 AM

Posted 30 June 2010 - 09:22 PM

I'm no longer a fan of FoxIt and have found my personal alternative to both foxit and adobe.

PDF-XChange Viewer Free: http://www.tracker-software.com/product/pdf-xchange-viewer

Another free alternative I've seen mentioned by respected sources but I don't have personal experience with is:

Sumatra PDF: http://blog.kowalczyk.info/software/sumatrapdf/index.html

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#7 buttoni

buttoni

• Members
  • 267 posts
  •  

Posted 30 June 2010 - 10:08 PM

I've been disenchanted with Adobe Reader and Foxit Reader as well, Animal. I switched to PDF-XChange-viewer some time ago and have been very pleased as well. No problems with updates or any toolbars sneaking in either. :thumbsup:
HP Pavilion desktop p6270z; 8 GB ram; Win7 Home Premium x64 bit; FX 4.0; DSL 2Wire modem/router; MVPS Hosts; Comodo FW 5.3(D+ & Sandbox enabled); MSSE; MBAM on demand.

#8 Layback Bear

Layback Bear
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,880 posts
  •  

Posted 01 July 2010 - 05:48 AM

Thank you both. I will try it later when I get the guts.

#9 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 01 July 2010 - 07:38 AM

PDF-XChange Viewer Free will also present you with an option to install Ask toolbar.

Uncheck all options so it will not install.

#10 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• Members
  • 3,194 posts
  •  

Posted 01 July 2010 - 08:16 AM

Foxit 4 offers you options to install ask toolbar, you can choose to Decline. You did not read it carefully ? Actually most of use have trained our minds to click Accept, Next, Install buttons like a robot :thumbsup:

Posted Image

Foxit 4 is safer than others as it provides protection to the /launch vulnerability present in PDF documents. So I am sticking with it.

#11 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,552 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:22 AM

Posted 01 July 2010 - 01:19 PM

Foxit 4 is safer than others as it provides protection to the /launch vulnerability present in PDF documents. So I am sticking with it.

As does PDF-XChange Viewer Free. And why I'm sticking with it.

http://www.tracker-software.com/company/ne..._events/view/89

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#12 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• Members
  • 3,194 posts
  •  

Posted 01 July 2010 - 02:09 PM

I tested PDF-XChange viewer against /Launch vulnerability. It shows options to launch or not launch with Yes and No buttons. Even the latest Adobe Acrobat Reader shows options to open or not open. But Foxit Reader shows only a warning - no options. Foxit Reader will not let the malware escape :thumbsup:

Try yourself : http://blog.bkis.com/en/adobe-fix-still-al...scape-from-pdf/

#13 buttoni

buttoni

• Members
  • 267 posts
  •  

Posted 01 July 2010 - 07:17 PM

As does PDF-XChange Viewer Free. And why I'm sticking with it.

http://www.tracker-software.com/company/ne..._events/view/89

Nice to know this. Thanks for posting the link, Animal. I'll sleep better tonight. But I think my Comodo FW with Defense+ with the new Sandbox would probably stop this from running, even if it made it onto my system.
HP Pavilion desktop p6270z; 8 GB ram; Win7 Home Premium x64 bit; FX 4.0; DSL 2Wire modem/router; MVPS Hosts; Comodo FW 5.3(D+ & Sandbox enabled); MSSE; MBAM on demand.

#14 Layback Bear

Layback Bear
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,880 posts
  •  

Posted 02 July 2010 - 07:49 AM

When I downloaded Foxit Reader I don't remember seeing anything a obvious as what Romeo29 has posted. I downloaded from Filehippo. I always look for things like that because it seem to be the new thing for free downloads.

#15 buttoni

buttoni

• Members
  • 267 posts
  •  

Posted 02 July 2010 - 08:50 AM

I remember something similar (without the decline button, just the check boxes), and I unchecked it. But on one update, there was no such choice, as I was LOOKING for it, and I immediately had to remove via Add/Remove programs. On yet another security update version, there appeared the checkboxes, but despite unchecking it, it installed the toolbar anyway! And I had to go remove it too via Add/Remove programs. That ripped it with me, I'm afraid. And that's when I ditched Foxit for good and switched to PDF-Xchange Viewer. Haven't regretted it. But the moment this one starts behaving similarly, I'll move on from it as well. But it has been updating just fine with nothing sneaky getting in.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users