Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Youtube Videos don't load / Router blocking?!?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Bill()C

Bill()C

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:46 AM

Posted 30 June 2010 - 10:27 AM

Rarely am I able to watch Youtube videos at home anymore. It started as an intermittent problem months ago and now virtually nothing loads from Youtube. I'm able to watch streaming videos on other sites, such as Yahoo or ESPN as long as it is not coming from Youtube.

I have 3 PC's on my network at home. All have the same symptoms. I use Comcast's free Norton Antivirus / Firewall. To diagnose I have uninstalled it on my primary PC and rebooted, but there has been no change in the problem. I also updated Adobe Flash to the most current version. Still cannot watch Youtube.

I am wondering if perhaps my Linksys Wireless G router (WRK54G V2) is causing a problem since it is the same issue across the network (however all 3 PC's also have the same antivirus).

In a recent, but limited test I plugged straight into my modem, bypassing the router and "instantly" was able to watch Youtube. I went into the Linksys setup and found the list of blocked URL's to be empty. IOW, Youtube was not being blocked this way. I went into the "Security Settings" and unchecked ""Block Anonymous Interenet Requests", "Filter Multicast", "Filter IDENT (port 113) then became disactive. "Filter Interenet NAT direction" was already unchecked I believe, but it definitely is now anyway.

I am hoping that any security issues with these changes can be handled by my reinstalled Norton. However initial results show that I STILL cannot watch youtube videos through my browsers. Just be clear, the youtube page loads, just not the video.

Any advice and/or critique of settings is welcome.

TIA,
Bill

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 keyboardNinja

keyboardNinja

Bleepin' Ninja

• BC Advisor
  • 4,815 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:46 PM

Posted 01 July 2010 - 09:05 PM

What browser(s) are you using?

And what happens when the video tries to load? Do you get this error message?

Can you watch videos through a profile page? Try ROCKETBOOM

Edited by keyboardNinja, 01 July 2010 - 09:06 PM.

PICNIC - Problem In Chair, Not In Computer

Posted Image Posted Image

20 Things I Learned About Browsers and the Web

#3 Bill()C

Bill()C
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 02 July 2010 - 05:18 PM

Thanks for helping Ninja...

I don't get an error message. I simply get the "circling circle" indicating that the video is downloading but it never does.

This happens on IE8, Firefox, and Chrome. (The only three I have installed).

When I plugged directly into my modem I had no problem on IE8 or Firefox. Didn't try Chrome.

I cannot view videos on someone's profile, including the Rocketboom page. Oddly I CAN watch videos from MY profile page.

I am stumped... Thinking of just getting a whole new router and don't know why I would have to.

Thanks,
Bill

Edited by Bill()C, 02 July 2010 - 05:20 PM.

#4 Bill()C

Bill()C
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 05 July 2010 - 11:29 AM

Additional information / thoughts.

I'm wondering if "opening" ports inside my Linksys router for youtube will work. Additionally I have Netflix capable devices that might benefit from this. Problem is I don't know what ports or even what program I would list these as.

I am open to ideas.

Thanks,
Bill

#5 angstfeardoubt

angstfeardoubt

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:46 PM

Posted 06 July 2010 - 08:09 PM

Have you tried resetting your router? Seems that your router is causing the problem from what you've mentioned.

#6 KillaMike

KillaMike

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 07 July 2010 - 08:59 PM

OMG! I found this on google and am so surprised. I have the exact same problem with my router, EXACT same router... The white circle keeps spinning and the videos never load, and when I plug in directly it works fine... I restarted the router and everything and still doesnt work

#7 Bill()C

Bill()C
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 10 July 2010 - 02:04 PM

ANGST: Yes, I have pressed the reset button.

KillaMike: I decided just to replace the router. Got a real nice Belkin N+ router and it flies and no problems with Youtube. Throwing the Linksys in the trash.

Good luck,
Bill

#8 kapil92ceg

kapil92ceg

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:16 AM

Posted 02 February 2016 - 10:17 AM

I had similar issue on my Net-gear router. i couldn't watch youtube videos or download apps from Play Store.

After long search fixed this issue by disabling the firewall and changing the MTU size to 1400.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users