Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Vista Home Basic

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Adam1968

Adam1968

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:04 PM

Posted 30 June 2010 - 08:16 AM

This is my first post - hope someone out there can help. When I boot up my machine, it goes through the initial startup procedures, up to the green line (bar) moving from left to right to show the OS is loading. Then the screen goes blank - apart from the mouse / pointer. This remains responsive. I have tried starting in safe mode - same thing. Ctrl-Alt_Delet does nothing, so no Task Manager to use. Have tried Advanced System Recovery Tools....Startup Repair has no effect, and it seems there are no System Restore points to access (I thought it was activated). Can anyone help?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,735 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:04 AM

Posted 30 June 2010 - 10:46 PM

If you have Vista DVD...

http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/88236-re...tall-vista.html

If you don't have Vista DVD...

1. Create Vista Recovery Disc.

Option 1:
http://www.c4consulting.com.au/soluctions/...0SOLUCTIONS.htm

Option 2:
Download Vista Recovery Disc iso image: http://neosmart.net/blog/2008/windows-vist...-disc-download/
Burn it to CD, or DVD: http://neosmart.net/wiki/display/G/Burning...+to+a+CD+or+DVD

2. Boot from created disk.
At first screen click on Repair your computer:
Posted Image
This will bring you to a new screen where the repair process will look for all Windows Vista installations on your computer. When done you will be presented with the System Recovery Options dialog box:
Posted Image
After this, it will present you with a list of options including startup repair, system restore and command prompt:
Posted Image
Try System Restore, first.
If that doesn't work, try Startup Repair.

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

#3 jmount1068

jmount1068

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:04 AM

Posted 01 July 2010 - 11:19 PM

To Adam1968, I certainly feel your pain as I seem to be going though the same problem.I start up and see the same bar you discribe,the the screen goes blck for several minuites. Then at the boyyom where the start button would be and the other side that list the open programs as they come on line start out white ,then slowly start to come on.It thakes about 2 to 5 min. to completely come on from that point. I run my system mechanic pro for any startup ,registry or fragmentation problems.I've also run the repair startup where booting up pressing f8 and all the diagnostic programs.So the one thing that I have not done that I believe may have been suggestied was to put the windows disk in and run the repair startup off that,which I will be doing as soon as I get some extra time put aside as we all know that a small quick solution can turn into a long drawn out thing.It would certainly be nice if the Microsoft Mr. fix it page would come up with something,as I don't believe we are the only ones that are expiriencing this partictular situation.Possibly it is a WindowsVista Home Basic problemas I've never been inpressed by this poor excuse of a operating system.They certainly left out a lot of good featuresand made it impossible to add features later(media center for one).When they introduced the Vista line they pakaged the basic crap and I was to busy looking at the computor capabilities instead of paying more attention to the op. system.I won't make that mistake again hopefully.But good luck Adam and maybe someone will help us Basic users fix this very aggrevating problem.......jmount1068

#4 Adam1968

Adam1968
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:04 PM

Posted 02 July 2010 - 04:01 AM

Thanks for the info Broni - much appreciated. Have downloaded and saved / burned to disc, then follwed your instructions. System Restore tells me there are no restore points available. Startup repair tells me there are no problems! Can I use the disc created to run a "CHKDSK" repair the same as Windows XP? Or when you load the OS there are options to run repairs without overwriting data - I know there are two stages to do this with XP - is is the same with Vista do you know? Thanks again......

#5 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,735 posts
  •  

Posted 02 July 2010 - 10:23 PM

You can run CHKDSK using created disk, if you select "Command Prompt".
To run Vista repair installation, you need regular Vista DVD (borrowed one will do).
Here is manual: http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/88236-re...tall-vista.html

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

#6 jmount1068

jmount1068

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:04 AM

Posted 25 July 2010 - 02:58 AM

This is jmount1068 again.I have done all the recommended things with no results.When I tryed using the Windows installation disk and startup repair I got a error code 0x490 in the system files integrity check,but it was unable to repair.I've sent messeges to Microsoft ,Yahoo answers and another,but nobody has any information for what to do next. I'm so tired of waiting for this computer to start up.Isn't there anyone with a answer?

#7 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,735 posts
  •  

Posted 25 July 2010 - 10:46 AM

Were you able to get a hold of real Vista DVD to run repair installation?

My Website

p4433470.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users