Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

not recongizing network cards/modems/cables/device drivers

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 CindyRB8603

CindyRB8603

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:41 AM

Posted 30 June 2010 - 12:32 AM

I have a dell inspiron b-130 laptop with windows xp home version 2002, service pack 2.

Last year my husband was scanning it with AVG virus scan... and the computer crashed. We moved and just bought a new one. I'm now trying to fix this Dell, I completely, wiped it. I had to re-activate my windows key with microsoft.

I've got it running with the exception of the problem with it saying it can't connect to any networks. If I try to run the setup wizard it says "The wizard cannot find your network hardware. Before using this wizard you must first install and configure your network cards, modems, cables, and device drivers."

Dell doesn't send the CD's for this stuff with the computers. They say everything is able to be done the website. But I can't even connect directly to the laptop with the Ethernet cable, the lights on the port are just yellow when I plug it in.

in the device manager "other devices" (Ethernet controller, network controller, PCI device, video controller, video controller (VGA Complatible) all have a yellow question mark and yellow exclamation point next to them.

Any ideas/suggestions to fix this problem?

Thanks,
Cindy

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MadDawg

MadDawg

• Members
  • 453 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:41 AM

Posted 30 June 2010 - 12:46 AM

in the device manager "other devices" (Ethernet controller, network controller, PCI device, video controller, video controller (VGA Complatible) all have a yellow question mark and yellow exclamation point next to them.

These two devices (and maybe the PCI device) need drivers; without them, you cannot connect to the Internet. If you have a flash drive or something similar, you can use the other computer to download the required drivers, then copy them to the laptop.
A penguin broke my windows with a half-eaten apple!

#3 CindyRB8603

CindyRB8603
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 30 June 2010 - 01:58 AM

These two devices (and maybe the PCI device) need drivers; without them, you cannot connect to the Internet. If you have a flash drive or something similar, you can use the other computer to download the required drivers, then copy them to the laptop.

Yeah, I have a flash drive & external hard drive I can use. I can't find them online to download. I tried searching.

#4 MadDawg

MadDawg

• Members
  • 453 posts
  •  

Posted 30 June 2010 - 02:16 AM

Here you go: http://support.dell.com/support/downloads/...tid=&impid=

I think you'll need these drivers from the network section:
  • Broadcom - Driver
    Applies to 44x 10/100 Integrated Controller
  • Dell - Driver
    Applies to Wireless 1370 WLAN MiniPCI Card and Wireless 1350 WLAN PC Card
From the display section you may want:
  • Intel - Driver
    Applies to Graphics Video

Edited by MadDawg, 30 June 2010 - 02:26 AM.

#5 CindyRB8603

CindyRB8603
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 30 June 2010 - 02:59 AM

Those worked! I no longer have listed the Ethernet controller (And I can connect to the internet, if I connect directly with an Ethernet cord) & I also no longer have video controller (VGA Complatible) listed in yellow

Wireless still isn't working, and still have the PCI device, video controller and network controller listed in yellow in device manager. I downloaded all the drivers listed in the network section. Maybe I'm missing something?

Hubby managed to find a "drivers & utilities" disk and when i put that in it popped up and said.. dell modem helper: "modem helper cannot communicate with your modem. if you system is a portable computer with a built in modem, modem helper recommends that you contact dell tech support for further assistance in troubleshooting your modem.

if your system allows for the reseat for your modem please proceed to the following steps with care!
1. unplug your computer from the electrical outlet, before removing the cover
2. before touching any of the components inside the machine, place the palm of your hand on a metal portion of the computer chassis to discharge any static electricity that may be in your body.

then in red at the bottom it says "result code: 62 - modem reseat necessary"

Edited by CindyRB8603, 30 June 2010 - 03:00 AM.

#6 MadDawg

MadDawg

• Members
  • 453 posts
  •  

Posted 30 June 2010 - 03:26 AM

In the communications section, there is a driver that may be pertinent:

Conexant - Driver
Applies to D110, HDA, MDC, v.92, modem

You may also want to download the application above it, since it is listed as urgent. I don't know if the driver will have any effect on the modem issue, though. All the other drivers in this refer to ExpressCards, so you wouldn't want to download those unless you have an ExpressCard plugged in.

If the display works properly, you can ignore the other display controller.

That PCI device could either be part of the Wireless adapter or the audio. Does the sound work correctly?

EDIT:

As for the wireless connection, have you rebooted after installing the drivers? If so, try rebooting again and going into the BIOS (hit or tap F12 while immediately after you hit the power) and check for any options that pertain to the WLAN card. There should be three options: Off, Controlled by OS, . Choose Controlled by OS or FN key, save, and reboot. When you get to Windows, hit Fn + F2 (The Fn key is down on the bottom-left row, between Ctrl and the Windows flag). This should toggle the Wireless.

Edited by MadDawg, 30 June 2010 - 03:39 AM.

#7 CindyRB8603

CindyRB8603
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 30 June 2010 - 04:23 AM

I resolved the wireless issue as well. I guess I missed one driver in the network section. I went back through and re-did them all. So the internet issue is solved.
the PCI issue.. when I downloaded the driver you suggested for that, it went away and changed to say "Audio Device on High definition audio bus" no sound works at all now.

So. that is the only issue I have left to fix. the video controller moved to back under "display adapters" and now just has a yellow exclamation point next to it, but the video works fine (so far, I played a few videos on you tube, to check sound since there is nothing on this computer, and video worked fine)

#8 MadDawg

MadDawg

• Members
  • 453 posts
  •  

Posted 30 June 2010 - 12:21 PM

There's one driver in the audio section; that should handle your sound issue.

Edited by MadDawg, 30 June 2010 - 12:23 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users