Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

cannot use aero after update

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 fess393

fess393

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:32 AM

Posted 30 June 2010 - 12:12 AM

I started using windows 7 in January, having no problems with aero. Yesterday, I updated win 7 and the driver for my NVIDIA GeForce 8500 GT video card through windows update. After the restart, I noticed that aero, and the transparency on my desktop were gone. After going through windows troubleshooter for aero, it said that desktop window manager was disabled, so after googleing thie problem, I tried many solutions that I have found, but none of them have worked. I tried changing the power managment settings in BIOS so S3 is disabled and S1 is enabled. I tried adding DWORD EnableMachineCheck and Blur and Animations to the registry under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\DWM. I tried reactivating DWM through services.msc, and the weird thing is it still says desktop window manager is still disabled, but in services.msc, Desktop Wndow Manager Session Manager is started and is automatic, and in the task manager under processes, dwm.exe is running. Does anyone else have this problem? or a solution?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 keyboardNinja

keyboardNinja

Bleepin' Ninja

• Members
  • 4,815 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:32 AM

Posted 01 July 2010 - 08:35 PM

You need to reverse the update that changed your graphics card driver. I never allow Windows Update to update hardware like that. The drivers are always worse off if you let Windows Update do it for you. Only install drivers you download from the manufacturer's website directly.

Now, let's see if we can put it back...read both options before proceeding.

Option 1: System Restore

At your Start Menu, type System Restore and press Enter. Wait....click Next. There will be a list of the restore points on your computer. There should be one from the time you did that Windows Update that screwed up your graphics driver. Click that one and click Next. Follow the remaining prompts.

-------------------------------------------

Option 2: New drivers

Make sure you know which bit of Windows you have. How can I tell if my computer is running a 32-bit or a 64-bit version of Windows?

Click here for Windows 7 32-bit drivers

Click here for Windows 7 64-bit drivers

Once the file downloads, double-click it and follow the prompts until the drivers are installed.

-------------------------------------------

Option 1 is better in the regard that it puts everything back the way it was. However, if you have changed anything else since the restore point was created (installed programs, changed settings, etc.), it will be put back.

Option 2 just gives you a clean start with the graphics card drivers. However, the new drivers may or may not be better than the old ones.

Personally, I'd go with Option 1 unless you have something important that will be gone after a restore.
PICNIC - Problem In Chair, Not In Computer

Posted Image Posted Image

20 Things I Learned About Browsers and the Web

#3 fess393

fess393
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:32 AM

Posted 02 July 2010 - 02:09 PM

Thank you, the system restore worked :huh: