Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 2003 Advanced Server

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 tim_ver

tim_ver

• Members
  • 125 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:55 AM

Posted 29 June 2010 - 10:57 PM

I have been having an issue with a server lately where it times out the connection to workstations when they are running a program. The program runs on there workstation but data is on server so need to be connected to server. They have to reboot or reset the switch, sometimes if they retry to connect with out a reboot it will work but 90% of the time they have to reboot their workstation or the server. I looked in the server log and say errors for Ip confliction and a dhcp warning so I locked the IP for the server on the switch so no one else can have it. Al seemed fine first day after doing this but now it is starting back up again. no ip errors in logs. Ideas why?

Help please.

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 techextreme

techextreme

Bleepin Tech

• Members
  • 2,125 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:55 PM

Posted 30 June 2010 - 06:55 AM

Do you have DHCP installed in 2k3 Advanced Server? If you do, do you have the scope setup properly?

On your workstations, do they have the power management settings turned off in device manager under the NIC "allow the computer to turn this connection off when not in use" ( or something similar )?

There is also a registry hack to stop windows server from disconnecting "inactive" connections ( i.e. mapped drives ) but I will have to look that up.

I would look at the first two options I gave you before doing any registry edits.

I would also caution you about any registry edits without backing it up first.
Techextreme

"Admire those who attempt great things, even though they fail."

-- Seneca

#3 tim_ver

tim_ver
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 125 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:55 AM

Posted 30 June 2010 - 08:51 AM

The server is acting as a file server and I have a switch that is giving out the IP's to all computers on the network so I did not setup DHCP on the server. For workstations no I do not believe I have the power management setting turned off. It has been working fine for over 8 months then all of a sudden in the last two weeks it has started to time out. It gives the users on the workstation Runtime errors with description - connection failure source: Microsoft OLE DB provider for sqlserver.

#4 techextreme

techextreme

Bleepin Tech

• Members
  • 2,125 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:55 PM

Posted 30 June 2010 - 09:12 AM

I would first check your workstations. Make sure power Management is turned off on the NIC. Once again, retry your connections.

If you are still receiving your errors, then we can give the other options a try.
Techextreme

"Admire those who attempt great things, even though they fail."

-- Seneca

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users