Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cannot open Desktop icons. Vista 32 bit

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 edward3608

edward3608

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:41 AM

Posted 29 June 2010 - 08:56 PM

I recently had a nasty rootkit virus removed from my machine through the kind help of Bleeping Computer.
The rootkit virus was infecting C:/ windows/system32/drivers/ndis.sys I have no idea if my problems now are some of the after effects of the prior problem. The virus was causing my browser to redirect after i would click on a link in a search engine. After getting rid of this bug my machine was back to normal and running great. Everything was working great. Now though, all of a sudden I cannot open any program using the desktop icons. I usually would double click on a icon and a listing of items would present itself with the top item being the open command. Now that does not happen when I double click on an icon. Once in a while when clicking on a desktop icon the program will open but the list of commands for that program does not present itself as it should when it is double clicked on. But never the less ,I can open the programs from the start up menu o r by opening the destop file and then just clicking on the item to highlighting it with my mouse in that folder and then clicking on open or explore located on the top of the file location. This seems to be doing this with all of my programs and files. Any help with this problem is appreciated greatly. P.S. I have Vista 32 bit OS .Also have the free versions of AVG 9 , and Malware bytes installed.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,610 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:41 AM

Posted 29 June 2010 - 11:54 PM

Try lnk fix from here: http://www.winhelponline.com/articles/105/...dows-Vista.html

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

#3 edward3608

edward3608
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 30 June 2010 - 12:40 AM

I have tried that. Cannot open any file by double cicking on it. Especially Zip files. I cannot copy and paste items because scroll won't open. Desktop icons when double clicked on are highlighted in blue but scroll along side icon wont open. I had a malware virus that had caused my exe files to malfunction but I had restored these files by using Regfix. I have opened the program again using its folder located in the desktop file and have pressed merge but the problem is still there. I can open programs though by going directly to the programs folder by or through the start up menu by just a single click . Thanks

#4 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,610 posts
  •  

Posted 30 June 2010 - 10:02 AM

Go Start>Run ("Start Search" in Vista/7), type in:
sfc /scannow
Click OK (hold CTRL, and SHIFT, hit Enter in Vista/7).
Have Windows CD/DVD handy (with Vista/7, most likely, you won't need it).
If System File Checker (sfc) will find any errors, it may ask you for the CD/DVD (rarely in Vista/7 case).

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

#5 edward3608

edward3608
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 30 June 2010 - 12:18 PM

I think that the problem is with the touchpad buttons. I used a mouse that I attached to laptop via USB port and I can open the desktop icons as before I had these problems. Also I ran Dell's hardware diagnostics test ,and according to it, the right touchpad button is malfunctioning. I have ordered a new Palmrest for my computer from Dell. Before I posted this topic, I should have considered that the problem could be a hardware malfunction. I am sorry that i wasted your time. Thank you for your help

#6 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,610 posts
  •  

Posted 30 June 2010 - 06:19 PM

Not a problem :huh:
I'm glad, you found the culprit :huh:

My Website

p4433470.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users