Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Noton or Avast, Which one?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Steve951

Steve951

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:54 AM

Posted 29 June 2010 - 08:34 PM

I Need to protect 6 computers at the office. I recently had a virus one my home cpu that was protected by an outdated Symantic corperate edition. I plan to go with internet security that will have A/V, firewall, and spyware. I will still use Malwarebytes and superspyware to check weekly.

I see alot of people likeing the free Advast, but curious if the paid version is far superior to Norton? I was suprised that Nurton will allow me to purchase 2 keys to protect all 6 computers. Also they have a $8 surchage to get prioity service which will allow me to have any virus removed via webex. With my limited cpu knowhow, that seemed to be a good deal.

The prices seemed comparable, if AVAST will let me do 3 for 1 as well. Just curious paid program to program how they stacked up against each other?

Thanks
Steve

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,939 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:54 AM

Posted 30 June 2010 - 08:00 AM

Independent comparatives of Anti-virus Software <- click on the "Comparatives" link on the left
TopTen Review: AntiVirus Software Product Comparisons
gizmo's Best Free Antivirus Software
AntiVirus Software Comparative Malware Removal Tests
Virus Bulletin <- requires registration

These types of comparative testing results will vary depending on who is doing the testing, what they are testing for, what versions of anti-virus software is being tested, etc. There are no universally predefined set of standards/criteria for testing and each test will yield different results. Thus, you need to look for detailed information about how the tests were conducted, the procedures used, and data results. Read Anti-virus Testing Websites: An overview of testing sites

You can always supplement your anti-virus by performing an Online Virus Scan from time to time. Keep in mind that some online scanners will require you to temporarily disable your existing anti-virus to avoid problems during the scan.

Choosing a security toolkit with anti-virus, firewall and anti-malware programs is a matter of personal preference, your technical ability and experience, features offered, the amount of resources utilized, how it may affect system performance and what will work best for your system. A particular combination that works well for one person may not work as well for another. There is no universal "one size fits all" solution that works for everyone. You may need to experiment and find what is most suitable for your needs. Another factor to consider is whether you want to use paid for products or free alternatives.

My personal choice is NOD32 Anti-Virus if choosing a paid for program or avast! Free Antivirus if choosing a free alternative.

I'm not an advocate of suites. All-in-one tools and suites generally use more system resources than separate programs that do the same task. They tend to have varying degrees of strengths and weaknesses for each feature. In contrast, separate tools are designed, built and maintained with a greater focus in a specific area so they are generally of better quality. This means the program's performance for that particular feature is usually superior than their all-in-one counterpart. Further, all-in-one tools generally do not allow the user as much flexibility in tailoring default settings and usage.

As a general rule, using more than one anti-spyware program like Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, SuperAntispyware, Spybot S&D, Ad-Aware, etc will not conflict with each other or your anti-virus if using only one of them for real time protection and others as stand-alone scanners. In fact, doing so increases your protection coverage without causing the same kind of conflicts or affecting the stability of your system that can occur when using more than one anti-virus. The overlap of protection from using different signature databases will aid in detection and removal of more threats when scanning your system for malware. However, if using all their real-time resident shields (TeaTimer, Ad-Watch, MBAM Protection Module, Spyware Terminator Shields, etc) together at the same time, there can be conflicts when each application tries to compete for resources and exclusive rights to perform an action. Additionally, competing tools may even provide redundant alerts which can be annoying and/or confusing.

I recommend Malwarebytes Anti-Malware and taking advantage of the Protection Module which uses advanced heuristic scanning technology to monitor your system and provide real-time protection to prevent the installation of most new malware. This technology monitors every process and stops malicious processes before they can infect your computer. Enabling the Protection Module feature requires reqistration and purchase of a license key that includes free lifetime upgrades and support. After activation, Malwarebytes can be set to update itself and schedule scans automatically on a daily basis. The Protection Module is not intrusive as it utilizes few system resources and should not conflict with other scanners or anti-virus programs.

No single product is 100% foolproof and can prevent, detect and remove all threats at any given time. The security community is in a constant state of change as new infections appear. Each vendor has its own definition of what constitutes malware and scanning your computer using different criteria will yield different results. The fact that each program has its own definition files means that some malware may be picked up by one that could be missed by another. Thus, a multi-layered defense using several anti-spyware products (including an effective firewall) to supplement your anti-virus combined with common sense and safe surfing habits provides the most complete protection.

Other security reading resources: Browser Security resources:
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#3 Direbane

Direbane

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 02 July 2010 - 01:38 PM

www.trend.com

If i had to go with a paid antivirus.

#4 bwest0703

bwest0703

• Members
  • 164 posts
  •  

Posted 02 July 2010 - 02:06 PM

I personally am a big fan of Kaspersky in regards to paid for Security suites. Their 2010 suite is fantastic, although I have heard, they can bog down some machines if you don't have decent memory and a fairly decent processor. I've never experienced any system performance issues.

Avast is a great free version AV, in particular their boot-time scan for 32-bit systems. However, other vendors offer so much more in regards to paid-versions.

I'm not a big fan of Norton, but it is not from a lack of security. They have became more lightweight (big problem in the 2006-2008 years), without losing much in regards to protection.

Their bloatware/Adware they push (or maybe the manufacturers push) on some of the top name manufacturer comps are just ridiculous. Not to mention in the past, some can be troublesome to remove, although I think most of this has also been resolved.

I would pick Kaspersky though over any other as it stands right now. Just remember, some is user bias, and there are a number of good AV suites offered on the market today.

I think it comes down to user choice, a bit of research, and final cost.

Also, most offer a free 15-30 day trial of the paid for versions. If you are wanting to try it out on 6 computers, I can almost guarantee they would offer a trial if it means selling some keys. Call the provider, try some out, and put off purchasing one until you find one that you like/have heard some good reviews on.

Some definitely worth checking into:
Kaspersky
TrendMicro
Norton
ESET's Nod32
Maybe even Zone Alarms latest and greatest (seen some decent reviews)

Good Luck, :thumbsup:

bwest0703

Edited by bwest0703, 02 July 2010 - 02:10 PM.

Posted Image

#5 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here
  • Local time:10:54 AM

Posted 02 July 2010 - 02:28 PM

My suggestion is to narrow down your choices and BEFORE purchasing anything, go to the website of the product, see if there is a trial version (the major players should offer at least a fully-functional 30 day trial), install, use, and evaluate it.

There is no one-size-fits-all when it comes to computer security. What works for me may not work for you. Using the trial will allow you to find out if the product plays nice with your systems, if it's user-friendly, and how it works.

I am a firm believer in test driving security software before you purchase something that may not play nice with a system.

#6 DeathStalker

DeathStalker

• Banned
  • 868 posts
  •  

Posted 02 July 2010 - 03:27 PM

Funny how NO ONE on this thread asked the OP what OS he is using. Although their support of XP is "legendary" Norton isn't exactly known as stellar on Vista or Win7............

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users