Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

T.v. Tuner Cards

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 PapaSmurf88

PapaSmurf88

• Members
  • 63 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:42 AM

Posted 15 October 2005 - 03:53 PM

Anyone know of a good TV tuner card. I am wanting something that I can use to watch TV while I am playing my games (CS:S BF2 WoW). I am currently waiting on a Dual Monitor set up to get here. I'm gonna be using a 19in as my primary and a 17in as my sec.

I also want something that wont bog my system down if I'm trying to record tv, and preferably something that has its own sound card built in so that when I'm playing games I can keep the TV sounds separate from the game sounds.

If you guys have any suggestions plz let me know my system specs should be in my sig, its been awhile since i posted here so if they aren't ill add them below.

Thanks for all your help.

P.S I would also like to keep the price for everything below $100
My Specs:

Albatron PX915P4C Pro
Intel P4 3.0 Ghz Processor w/ HT technology
2x 512MB PC3200 Memory
120 GB Western Digital IDE HD
SAPPHIRE X550 256Mb Video Card

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cowsgonemadd3

cowsgonemadd3

Feed me some spyware!

• Banned
  • 4,557 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:42 AM

Posted 15 October 2005 - 06:46 PM

I know of the best card on the market now. It wont eat your cpu like the ones out there. Its a hardware card! Do not get a software based tuner card!!!

I only know of one hardware based tuner card. I dont know of any with built in sound cards. The one im talking about also is capable of High definiton tv and it can record it just like analog. Im going to get it soon! It has great reviews too.

It has a usb remote control.

The outputs are:

15-pin D-Sub VGA Connector
Component (Y-Pb-Pr with optional cable)
S/PDIF Digital Coax (RCA)
Analog 2 channel L+R Stereo

It says it has the analog audio outputs and it also supports 5.1.

Dolby Digital 5.1 audio via S/PDIF and Analog

Its the way to go.

Take a look at it!
http://www.digitalconnection.com/Products/Video/mdp130.asp

Its here on ebay for a little less.
http://cgi.ebay.com/MyHD-PCI-HDTV-Tuner-De...1QQcmdZViewItem

Hope this helps!

#3 PapaSmurf88

PapaSmurf88
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 63 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:42 AM

Posted 16 October 2005 - 10:39 AM

Wow while that does look nice its a little bit outta my price range I'm on a very limited budget here. Thanks for atleast giveing me something to compare other cards ive been looking at. I will definately look into more hardware based cards. Now by hardware based cards you mean hardware encryption cuz I've seen several cards that have hardware encryption and stuff but was unsure of what that ment
My Specs:

Albatron PX915P4C Pro
Intel P4 3.0 Ghz Processor w/ HT technology
2x 512MB PC3200 Memory
120 GB Western Digital IDE HD
SAPPHIRE X550 256Mb Video Card

#4 cowsgonemadd3

cowsgonemadd3

Feed me some spyware!

• Banned
  • 4,557 posts
  •  

Posted 16 October 2005 - 03:33 PM

I know how it feels to be on a fixed budget because I want one of these to but dont have the money because im buying a new laptop...

Hardware based is pretty much the only way to go. Software based work but not for everyone and cause lots of trouble I have read. Software uses your computers CPU and graphics card to make the tv work. A hardware based has its on built in hardware so it wont need the cpu no where near as much.

Goodluck!

#5 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 17 October 2005 - 05:44 PM

I used to have an ATI TVWonderVE card - but it gave me too many problems and I scrapped it.

Now I've got a Hauppage PVR-250 and it works great! I'd recommend it to anyone.

Here's a site with some reviews: http://www.tv-cards.com/
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users