Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

semaphore timeout period

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 geekylandlord

geekylandlord

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:48 AM

Posted 29 June 2010 - 07:13 PM

Hi, I use Windows XP Pro and I am getting this error message in the system event log everytime I log in. Now I only get one, but just recently there are like 3 or 4 in a row many times during the initial log in to the internet network.

I have tried to search everywhere and google and yahoo for an answer but never was able to get a clear solution.

Luckily, I am able to get online just fine but the idea of this showing up constantly bothers me. It was fine, for about 4 months it stopped showing up after I did no changes to my system but its now back.

Also for a while I was getting something about user cancelled something but I have not seen that in a long time.

I tried to unplug the modem and cables to reset the IP , but that doesnt help. Also not that my service uses a Dynamic IP and I cant switch to static IP.

Its called Event: 1003 Source: DHCP

Your computer was not able to renew its address from the network (from the DHCP Server) for the Network Card with network address ------------. The following error occurred:
The semaphore timeout period has expired. . Your computer will continue to try and obtain an address on its own from the network address (DHCP) server.

Thanks for your help in advance.

Edited by geekylandlord, 29 June 2010 - 07:15 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,107 posts
  •  

Posted 29 June 2010 - 07:45 PM

DHCP Event ID 1003

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums...3d-b7bb8f893f78

Louis

#3 geekylandlord

geekylandlord
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 29 June 2010 - 07:53 PM

DHCP Event ID 1003

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums...3d-b7bb8f893f78

Louis

Thanks for the link, but I use XP and don't have the problem during file transfer but when the internet gets connected.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,107 posts
  •  

Posted 29 June 2010 - 08:10 PM

Did you go through that checklist?

IMO, it's immaterial when you get the error...if that error message is what you get, the Mod summarized possible factors to consider.

Louis

#5 geekylandlord

geekylandlord
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 29 June 2010 - 08:14 PM

Not sure what checklist you are talking about. Its ok though, I give up and will just live with this since its just my own perfection obsession.. Maybe it will go away, it has just gone away before.

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,107 posts
  •  

Posted 29 June 2010 - 08:20 PM

I'm talking about the steps suggested by the MSFT Moderator on the technet link.

Louis

#7 geekylandlord

geekylandlord
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 30 June 2010 - 04:52 PM

The checklist applies to Windows Vista, I use XP Pro.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users