Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Opening 'My Computer' takes 45 seconds or so and makes a DCOM 10010 error in event viewer

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 YellowDogSigns

YellowDogSigns

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:33 PM

Posted 29 June 2010 - 07:02 PM

1. When double clicking on the 'my computer' icon, the window pops up, but then the window goes blank and the flashlight starts going back and forth. After around 45 seconds or so, everything comes up and works fine. If I double click on c: drive it comes right up. I don't have any more problems with going through different files or folders unless I close the window. If I double click on 'my computer' again, it does the same thing. It also creates a DCOM 10010 error in the event viewer.

2. If I go to the start menu and click on search, the start menu disappears, but nothing else happens. I don't know if it is related, but if I am saving a file, it doesn't auto fill/complete the file name if it already exists in the folder. It used to do this and would be helpful to have back.

3. I have 2 printers attached to my computer. One is a color laser and works fine. The other is an all-in-one printer/scanner/fax, but I only use it for scanning. When I click on scanners & cameras, it also takes about 45 seconds before it comes up with the window, which does have any devices listed in it. I believe it creates a DCOM 10010 error in the event viewer. Again, it used to scan just fine. We currently have it plugged into a different computer and it works on that computer just fine.

I know some places say to disable Windows Image Acquisition (WIA) service to fix the 'my computer' problem. It didn't seem to change anything when I tried disabling it, but I think I need it active if I'm going to be using the scanner.

I have Windows XP Professional with service pack 3. I do not have any system restore points that I can revert to. I did use you guys to get rid of a rootkit virus on the same computer about a month ago. I started noticing the problems some time after that. If you need any other info from me, just let me know.

Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,562 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:33 PM

Posted 29 June 2010 - 07:40 PM

DCOM Event ID 10010 Data

Louis

#3 YellowDogSigns

YellowDogSigns
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 29 June 2010 - 08:12 PM

For clicking 'My Computer' & 'Scanners & Cameras', both give the same error in event viewer:

The server {A1F4E726-8CF1-11D1-BF92-0060081ED811} did not register with DCOM within the required timeout.

I searched for that string in the registry and it is associated with WIA Device Manager. I'm not sure what to do from this point.

Thanks!
Rick

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,562 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:33 PM

Posted 29 June 2010 - 08:18 PM

I have no idea why a printer/scanner...would generate DCOM errors...unless the software is damaged and needs to be uninstalled/reinstalled.

If there is an update mechanism in such software, you could also try disabling it via device configuration options.

Louis

#5 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:33 PM

Posted 30 June 2010 - 09:25 AM

For clicking 'My Computer' & 'Scanners & Cameras', both give the same error in event viewer:

The server {A1F4E726-8CF1-11D1-BF92-0060081ED811} did not register with DCOM within the required timeout.

I searched for that string in the registry and it is associated with WIA Device Manager. I'm not sure what to do from this point.

Thanks!
Rick

Worth a read: Windows Image Acquisition (WIA) Device Manager it seems that the device is not being detected. I would reinstall it/update the drivers for the application.

#6 YellowDogSigns

YellowDogSigns
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 30 June 2010 - 08:51 PM

As far as I know, there isn't an update mechanism in the software. I can't say for sure, since I can't open the software that I usually use that shows up in 'scanners and camera' in the control panel.

I tried uninstalling the scanner and disconnecting it. Then restarting the computer, plugging it back in (USB) and it reinstalled the drivers. Nothing has changed. I read through parts of the WIA link that cryptodan posted. It tells me kinda of what all the WIA does, but I didn't see anything to try and fix my problem. Any other suggestions or things to try?

Thanks!
Rick

#7 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:33 PM

Posted 01 July 2010 - 03:10 AM

In order to update the drivers you need to visit the manufacturer of your device in question. What kind of scanner is it?

#8 Jeff Dolsen

Jeff Dolsen

• Banned Spammer
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:33 PM

Posted 01 July 2010 - 04:51 AM

You need to delete the last item of the regedit table which is for scanner and camera.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\MyComputer\NameSpace\DelegateFolders\{E211B736-43FD-11D1-9EFB-0000F8757FCD}
No any bad result if you do it, but you'd better backup first!

Edited by elise025, 05 July 2010 - 06:29 AM.
Removed link ~ Elise

#9 YellowDogSigns

YellowDogSigns
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 01 July 2010 - 12:49 PM

In order to update the drivers you need to visit the manufacturer of your device in question. What kind of scanner is it?

It is a Brother MFC 210c printer/scanner/fax. The newest driver I was able to find was from 2004.

@Jeff Dolson, What exactly does deleting that entry do? Do I need to do anything (besides backing up the registry) before or after deleting it?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users