Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Help to make sure system is clean after some repair steps have been taken

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 stanpatpick

stanpatpick

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:43 PM

Posted 29 June 2010 - 04:47 PM

I am posting to get help from someone knowledgeable to make sure that this system is clean and is really ready to be put back into service.

Dell Inspirion 1505
Win Media Center XP

The system was found with a malware infection that prevented internet access.

Scans / removals have been made with malwarebytes, sophos anti-rootkit, combofix, and eset online scan.

The system required using MS .net tool and installing individual .net updates to restore the windows update function to normal operation.

Windows indicates that Mcafee Virus scan is installed and updated in the security center panel
but the software is not listed in the add/remove panel.

There don't seem to be any redirects, or slowed browser response, no pop ups, or unknown items in the taskbar. Programs open and close normally as far as I can tell.

The pc seems okay at this point but I don't trust my experience to say whether everything that shold be done has been done.

Any help appreciated.

Edited by stanpatpick, 29 June 2010 - 04:53 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users