Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Password Protecting Individual Folders

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 floyd

floyd

• Members
  • 115 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:59 PM

Posted 15 October 2005 - 03:39 PM

Does anyone know if it is possible to password protect individual folders in XP SP-2. I would like to keep snoops out of my folder with financial data, but don't want to be bothered with having to enter passwords for all my other folders in Explorer to access them.

Thanks
Floyd

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:59 PM

Posted 15 October 2005 - 04:06 PM

I know you can do it with a program called Folder Lock. It is a pay program, but I think you get a trial period.

http://www.newsoftwares.net/folderlock/

I use it for some folders.
ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

Currently home chillin' with the fam and my two dogs!

#3 floyd

floyd
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 115 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:59 PM

Posted 15 October 2005 - 04:11 PM

Thanks Albert. I just realized while I was waiting and playing around in Explorer, that I can hide folders too. That should be sufficient in my case too.
Thanks again.
Floyd

#4 frankie12

frankie12

• Members
  • 941 posts
  •  

Posted 16 October 2005 - 10:25 AM

You can still see hidden folders. So if you really want to keep your files protected you should use folder lock or a simlar program. You could also password lock your folder bu putting the files in a zip folder and then put on password lock. (it works on my XP)

#5 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  

Posted 17 October 2005 - 06:30 PM

You betcha, Floyd! Hiding folders was an option I thought of for you, too, but it doesn't take too much effort to find a hidden folder. So I figured seeing you said it was financial info you may want to actually lock it up!
ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

Currently home chillin' with the fam and my two dogs!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users