Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

coolweb ... to.... best-search

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
3 replies to this topic

#1 rhfuller

rhfuller

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:13 AM

Posted 13 May 2004 - 11:07 AM

I hope you guys can help. I have currently removed 4 programs that were running on my puter. There are no unknown process running. There were 3 dll files that I have deleted...mshelper.dll, mtwcnl32.dll and mtwirl.dll There was also a file that redirected my browser to the webpage best-search that i have also removed.

now my browser opens and tells me that it cannot find c:/searchpage.html.
This I know is due to removing the file associated with the web page.

I have ran cws shredder, norton antivirus, mcaffee and avg.

I have found in the registry many references to ...search#1507 ( about 10-15 )
I tried to delete them but then lost the ability for ie to work. I did imported the reg back and have now ran hijack this. here is the log. I am hoping you guys can help out. I believe i only need to know what the original reg statements should read.
I know... i know... i should have backed up the reg on a more timely fashion. But like a lot of others ... I didnt.

anyway here is the log. and thank you in advance.

rick

Logfile of HijackThis v1.97.7
Scan saved at 9:05:10 AM, on 5/13/2004
Platform: Windows XP SP1 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP1 (6.00.2800.1106)

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccEvtMgr.exe
C:\Program Files\Norton AntiVirus\navapsvc.exe
C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
C:\Program Files\D-Link\AirPlus Xtreme G\AirPlusCFG.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\CTHELPER.EXE
C:\Program Files\MusicMatch\MusicMatch Jukebox\mmtask.exe
C:\Program Files\MUSICMATCH\MUSICMATCH Jukebox\mm_tray.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccApp.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\wuauclt.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\NORTON~1\navw32.exe
C:\WINDOWS\regedit.exe
C:\Documents and Settings\rick h fuller\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5\7V8QDFXI\HijackThis[1].exe
C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe
C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe

R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer,SearchURL = c:\searchpage.html#1507
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Bar = c:\searchpage.html#1507
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page = c:\searchpage.html#1507
R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = file:///c:/searchpage.html?page=www.msn.com
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Page_URL = c:\searchpage.html#1507
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Search_URL = c:\searchpage.html#1507
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Search,SearchAssistant = c:\searchpage.html#1507
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Search,CustomizeSearch = c:\searchpage.html#1507
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page =
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Search,CustomizeSearch =
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Search,SearchAssistant =
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer,Search = c:\searchpage.html#1507
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - d:\program files\Reader\ActiveX\AcroIEHelper.ocx
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {AA58ED58-01DD-4d91-8333-CF10577473F7} - c:\program files\google\googletoolbar1.dll
O2 - BHO: NAV Helper - {BDF3E430-B101-42AD-A544-FADC6B084872} - C:\Program Files\Norton AntiVirus\NavShExt.dll
O3 - Toolbar: &Radio - {8E718888-423F-11D2-876E-00A0C9082467} - C:\WINDOWS\System32\msdxm.ocx
O3 - Toolbar: &Google - {2318C2B1-4965-11d4-9B18-009027A5CD4F} - c:\program files\google\googletoolbar1.dll
O3 - Toolbar: Norton AntiVirus - {42CDD1BF-3FFB-4238-8AD1-7859DF00B1D6} - C:\Program Files\Norton AntiVirus\NavShExt.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [D-Link AirPlus Xtreme G] C:\Program Files\D-Link\AirPlus Xtreme G\AirPlusCFG.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [WINDVDPatch] CTHELPER.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [UpdReg] C:\WINDOWS\UpdReg.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Jet Detection] "C:\Program Files\Creative\SBLive\PROGRAM\ADGJDet.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [CTStartup] C:\Program Files\Creative\Splash Screen\CTEaxSpl.EXE /run
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [mmtask] c:\Program Files\MusicMatch\MusicMatch Jukebox\mmtask.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [MMTray] C:\Program Files\MUSICMATCH\MUSICMATCH Jukebox\mm_tray.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ccApp] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccApp.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ccRegVfy] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccRegVfy.exe"
O4 - Global Startup: Microsoft Office.lnk = D:\program files\microsoft\Office\OSA9.EXE
O9 - Extra button: Messenger (HKLM)
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Messenger (HKLM)
O12 - Plugin for .spop: C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\Plugins\NPDocBox.dll
O13 - DefaultPrefix:
O13 - WWW Prefix:
O13 - Home Prefix:
O13 - Mosaic Prefix:
O16 - DPF: {166B1BCA-3F9C-11CF-8075-444553540000} (Shockwave ActiveX Control) - http://download.macromedia.com/pub/shockwa...director/sw.cab
O16 - DPF: {9F1C11AA-197B-4942-BA54-47A8489BB47F} (Update Class) - http://v4.windowsupdate.microsoft.com/CAB/...8106.8092708333
O16 - DPF: {CE28D5D2-60CF-4C7D-9FE8-0F47A3308078} (ActiveDataInfo Class) - https://www-secure.symantec.com/techsupp/ac...ta/SymAData.dll
O16 - DPF: {D27CDB6E-AE6D-11CF-96B8-444553540000} (Shockwave Flash Object) - http://download.macromedia.com/pub/shockwa...ash/swflash.cab
O16 - DPF: {E77C0D62-882A-456F-AD8F-7C6C9569B8C7} (ActiveDataObj Class) - https://www-secure.symantec.com/techsupp/ac.../ActiveData.cab

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Papakid

Papakid

Guru at being a Newbie

• Malware Response Team
  • 6,586 posts
  •  

Posted 13 May 2004 - 12:32 PM

Hi Rick. Welcome to BC.

I believe i only need to know what the original reg statements should read.

The beauty of HijackThis is that it knows what the acceptable reg files should be when it fixes. You seem to only have R0/R1 entries that need to be fixed. HijackThis will replace home page values to about: blank and search to MSN.com.

I just hope you have been successful in deleting all the responsible Hijacker files. Just about everything now is using hidden files to reeinstall and are extremely difficult to locate & remove. But if all those dll's are actually gone then fixing the R0/R1 may be all you need to do. So let's try this.

First, you need to move HijackThis into its own permanent folder. This is important.
Please follow THESE INSTRUCTIONS.

Please make sure that you can view all hidden files. Instructions on how to do this can be found here:

For XP:
How to see hidden files in Windows

Scan again with HijackThis. Close all other windows, put a checkmark by these entries, double-checking to be sure that only these entries are checked & then click the "Fix checked" button.

R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer,SearchURL = c:\searchpage.html#1507
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Bar = c:\searchpage.html#1507
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page = c:\searchpage.html#1507
R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = file:///c:/searchpage.html?page=www.msn.com
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Page_URL = c:\searchpage.html#1507
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Search_URL = c:\searchpage.html#1507
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Search,SearchAssistant = c:\searchpage.html#1507
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Search,CustomizeSearch = c:\searchpage.html#1507
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page =
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Search,CustomizeSearch =
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Search,SearchAssistant =
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer,Search = c:\searchpage.html#1507

You should reboot after the fix, but before you do, look in your root folder (double-click local disk (C:)) and see if the searchpage.html#1507 file still exists and delete it if so.

If you have not already done so, you should disable System Restore & them re-enable it to remove any backed-up copies of the malware you've already removed.

Rescan with HT and post another log please. And let us know if any other problems reoccur.

The thing about people

is they change

when they walk away.--Mipso

#3 rhfuller

rhfuller
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 13 May 2004 - 04:46 PM

jere is the new log file. I thank you for helping me with this. My files are not hidden on my system so I should have them all. But .... we will see in a few hours or days.
It doesnt look like there are any other references to #1507 and the home page is now set where it should be.

Thank you again for your help.

Ps. Is there a patch or fix other than updates that can or will prevent this from happening again.

RickFuller

Logfile of HijackThis v1.97.7
Scan saved at 2:43:04 PM, on 5/13/2004
Platform: Windows XP SP1 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP1 (6.00.2800.1106)

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccEvtMgr.exe
C:\Program Files\Norton AntiVirus\navapsvc.exe
C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
C:\Program Files\D-Link\AirPlus Xtreme G\AirPlusCFG.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\CTHELPER.EXE
C:\Program Files\MusicMatch\MusicMatch Jukebox\mmtask.exe
C:\Program Files\MUSICMATCH\MUSICMATCH Jukebox\mm_tray.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccApp.exe
C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\wuauclt.exe
C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
C:\hijackthis fixit tool\HijackThis.exe

R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://msn.com/
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - d:\program files\Reader\ActiveX\AcroIEHelper.ocx
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {AA58ED58-01DD-4d91-8333-CF10577473F7} - c:\program files\google\googletoolbar1.dll
O2 - BHO: NAV Helper - {BDF3E430-B101-42AD-A544-FADC6B084872} - C:\Program Files\Norton AntiVirus\NavShExt.dll
O3 - Toolbar: &Radio - {8E718888-423F-11D2-876E-00A0C9082467} - C:\WINDOWS\System32\msdxm.ocx
O3 - Toolbar: &Google - {2318C2B1-4965-11d4-9B18-009027A5CD4F} - c:\program files\google\googletoolbar1.dll
O3 - Toolbar: Norton AntiVirus - {42CDD1BF-3FFB-4238-8AD1-7859DF00B1D6} - C:\Program Files\Norton AntiVirus\NavShExt.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [D-Link AirPlus Xtreme G] C:\Program Files\D-Link\AirPlus Xtreme G\AirPlusCFG.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [WINDVDPatch] CTHELPER.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [UpdReg] C:\WINDOWS\UpdReg.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Jet Detection] "C:\Program Files\Creative\SBLive\PROGRAM\ADGJDet.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [CTStartup] C:\Program Files\Creative\Splash Screen\CTEaxSpl.EXE /run
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [mmtask] c:\Program Files\MusicMatch\MusicMatch Jukebox\mmtask.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [MMTray] C:\Program Files\MUSICMATCH\MUSICMATCH Jukebox\mm_tray.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ccApp] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccApp.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ccRegVfy] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccRegVfy.exe"
O4 - Global Startup: Microsoft Office.lnk = D:\program files\microsoft\Office\OSA9.EXE
O9 - Extra button: Messenger (HKLM)
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Messenger (HKLM)
O12 - Plugin for .spop: C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\Plugins\NPDocBox.dll
O13 - DefaultPrefix:
O13 - WWW Prefix:
O13 - Home Prefix:
O13 - Mosaic Prefix:
O16 - DPF: {166B1BCA-3F9C-11CF-8075-444553540000} (Shockwave ActiveX Control) - http://download.macromedia.com/pub/shockwa...director/sw.cab
O16 - DPF: {9F1C11AA-197B-4942-BA54-47A8489BB47F} (Update Class) - http://v4.windowsupdate.microsoft.com/CAB/...8106.8092708333
O16 - DPF: {CE28D5D2-60CF-4C7D-9FE8-0F47A3308078} (ActiveDataInfo Class) - https://www-secure.symantec.com/techsupp/ac...ta/SymAData.dll
O16 - DPF: {D27CDB6E-AE6D-11CF-96B8-444553540000} (Shockwave Flash Object) - http://download.macromedia.com/pub/shockwa...ash/swflash.cab
O16 - DPF: {E77C0D62-882A-456F-AD8F-7C6C9569B8C7} (ActiveDataObj Class) - https://www-secure.symantec.com/techsupp/ac.../ActiveData.cab

#4 Papakid

Papakid

Guru at being a Newbie

• Malware Response Team
  • 6,586 posts
  •  

Posted 13 May 2004 - 07:31 PM

My files are not hidden on my system so I should have them all.

I should have phrased my comments better. The newer malware is finding ways to hide from HijackThis. You will be able to see them in Windows Explorer when you unhide system files, but HT can't always see them.

You have some new items that showed up in HT that need to be fixed. Fingers crossed that they are leftovers. Remember to close all other windows before fixing with HT and reboot afterwards.

O13 - DefaultPrefix:
O13 - WWW Prefix:
O13 - Home Prefix:
O13 - Mosaic Prefix:

This below is not a threat, but a known resourse hog so you can safely remove it to improve startup speed:

[B]O4 - Global Startup: Microsoft Office.lnk = D:\program files\microsoft\Office\OSA9.EXE[B]

Is there a patch or fix other than updates that can or will prevent this from happening again.

If you are going to use Internet Explorer as your default browser, keeping Windows & IE fully updated, or rather patched, is of the first priority. At least in the case of these http exploits. And I'm not fully convinced this one exploit is totally patched.

Also in the case of CoolWebSearch, the main hole being exploited is in the MS Java Virtual Machine. If you're fully updated the MSJVM is virtually removed. Installing true Java by Sun is more secure & replaces the abilities that you lose when you remove the MSJVM. You may want to see my comments about all of this in http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/ind...p?showtopic=292]this thread.[/URL]

Using another browser & only using IE when you have to is also a good idea, although I seem to have no problem with hijackers with a properly configured IE. But I find this thread very informative on the subject.

For general parasite prevention the following three tools are recommended & you can learn how to use them by reading these tutorials.

Using SpywareBlaster to protect your Web Browser
Using SpywareGuard to protect your computer from Spyware/Hijackers
Using IE-Spyad to enhance your privacy and security

Your log otherwise looks good. Post another one to be sure after the above fix, but I think you're going to be fine. :thumbsup:

The thing about people

is they change

when they walk away.--Mipso

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users