Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Downloaded Programe Files

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 clank

clank

• Members
  • 98 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:59 AM

Posted 15 October 2005 - 03:12 PM

Hi '
I did a disc clean up today and noticed that in the C\Windows Downloaded Programs Files one had a Damaged , under the status its creation date was 08/27/02 last accesed today 10/15/05, the program file was 9F1c11aa-197b. Do you remove things like this, do they cause any harm all the rest looked okay allthough on 2 files it said the status was UKNOWN> Thanks Clank

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 HappyShiner

HappyShiner

• Members
  • 58 posts
  •  

Posted 15 October 2005 - 03:47 PM

Hi there,

Start > Run > copy and paste in:
sfc /scannow
Click 'OK'
You will need your XP/2000*Grinler disk. If you don't have it and instead only have a recovery CD, there is a work around. View the following link for a tutorial:

http://www.updatexp.com/scannow-sfc.html

sfc - system file checker, retrieves the correct version of the file from %Systemroot%\System32\Dllcache or the Windows installation source files, and then replaces the incorrect file.

If you want to see what was replaced, right click My Computer > manage, expand event viewer > system.

It's a safe way of dealing with things like that ;)..let me know if that solves the issue.

Big Smiles

HS

#3 clank

clank
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 98 posts
  •  

Posted 15 October 2005 - 04:03 PM

Hi HappyShinner you say (You will need your XP/2000*Grinler disk. If you don't have it and instead only have a recovery CD,) but you don't mention what to do with it (not being rude)

XP came already installed on my computer but I do have a recovery disc but I had to use that once before and it wipes everything from your computer doesn't it.

You make it sound very easy Iam only a beginner and a rubbish one at that,

Clank :thumbsup:

#4 clank

clank
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 98 posts
  •  

Posted 16 October 2005 - 03:20 PM

hi, Have read the help file it only refers to the XP disc which I don't have and does the process only repair Window xp files, the one that is damaged is one in the downloaded files with a number next to it how do I know what it is,

Thanks Clank

#5 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 16 October 2005 - 10:45 PM

Try just renaming the folder in question and see if it affects the computer operation.

If it causes no problems it is probably safe to delete fter a period of time.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users