Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

In need of help with a potential DNS crwt.D Derivative

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 daibido1123

daibido1123

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:56 AM

Posted 29 June 2010 - 01:19 PM

Ok where to start y'all, First it started with my wife's computer having a lot of boot errors that required I think around 10 drive reconstructions using Windows baked in drive repair. after that I tried to install one of my extra McAfee Total protection 2010 licenses onto my wife's computer. But it and Trend Micro House call seemed to be blocked from the web, I was able to download from the sites the install downloader, but the server was not connecting. so they could not be installed. So I had to go with AVG 9.0 Free version as an interim, it to was blocked from the server at first, but because it used a HTML web window on the installer, I just fit refresh and it installed :thumbsup: . When I tried to run virus scan after it was installed, it would crash the machine, so I the third time rebooting didn't let it run, for about an hour it was working fine, than it crashed hard, so I tried to scan it again, scan would not start, so I used the scheduled scan for it to start in 15 mins. and big surprise it crashed again. So me and my wife tried to start it again in safe mode, with no internet just in-case it was a crwt.D worm, but it didn't start in safe mode, it booted straight up in normal mode, even though it did the driver list like it was going to boot in safe mode. The only thing I can think to do now, is take her drive out and remotely scan it with an external enclosure and my McAfee on my computer, problem is I may risk being infected to. Also we can try restoring her Dell with the restore disk that came with it, but that also means that if this is deep in her drives code, it will be there when its restored. So what to do. It looks like I may have to buy a copy of Windows Vista Basic. and do a full restore, but the drivers may have a compatibility issue, so that may be a no dice. I use Windows Vista Home Premium 64-Bit, on my Acer, so I may be safe with the remote scan, but if this is what I think it is, they thought of that to, and I can still get infected. So this is going out of my scope of knowledge, I need all your help. Tell me in detail what I need to do to fix this Dell brick. :flowers:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users