Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Iconna Confused

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 WhiskeyTango73

WhiskeyTango73

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:05 PM

Posted 29 June 2010 - 11:14 AM

Not sure if it was a windows update - but my shortcut icons all have the "general" icon displayed in front of them now. I run Mbam and Kas scans religiously and dont believe it to be malware.
http://img268.imageshack.us/img268/8103/captureicon.png

I keep most shortcuts in a shortcut folder and then use one desktop shortcut to get to all shortcuts. It keeps my desktop clean and I know where all of my program shortcuts are - all in one place. Well, all of THOSE icons now are "generic" system icons as well.
I would rather not do a restore, so how do I restore icons w/out restoring system?
http://img215.imageshack.us/img215/6379/ca...rtcutfolder.png

seemed to have happened right around time of big MS patch earlier this month.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MarcusW

MarcusW

• Members
  • 73 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:05 PM

Posted 04 July 2010 - 12:14 PM

Have you tried rebuilding the icon cache, which MAY be the problem. I'm seeing a lot of missing 'shortcut to' arrows, but the icons for the programs themselves seem to be fine. This may or may not work and you carry this one out at your own discretion - so bear that in mind.

Navigate to C:\Users\YourUserName\AppData\Local
Find IconCache.db
Delete it.
Log off
Log back on.
This might work, but I don't promise you anything, although the icon cache will get rebuilt and you can navigate to the same folder and still find it in there when you log back on.

#3 WhiskeyTango73

WhiskeyTango73
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 04 July 2010 - 03:11 PM

Thank you - seemed to have rebuilt itself mysteriously - just yesterday. ???

#4 MarcusW

MarcusW

• Members
  • 73 posts
  •  

Posted 06 July 2010 - 02:35 AM

Thank you - seemed to have rebuilt itself mysteriously - just yesterday. ???

Oh well..."If it ain't broke, don't fix it"! lol.

#5 WhiskeyTango73

WhiskeyTango73
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 06 July 2010 - 10:30 AM

I think it might have been the way that I organize my shortcuts. I have too many for the QL bar, and I like a clean desktop, so I place shortcuts in a "shortcut" folder and use one desktop shortcut/link to retrieve program shortcuts that I dont use daily.

#6 MarcusW

MarcusW

• Members
  • 73 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2010 - 12:52 AM

Yeah I do that as well, otherwise the whole thing just goes all messed up and horrid. I did try Stardock's Fences program which seemed to tidy things up a bit, but even then there is always such a thing as too many icons - so I got rid of it and ended up doing the same thing you seem to do.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users