Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Firefox

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 pondering

pondering

• Members
  • 313 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:57 AM

Posted 04 October 2004 - 03:09 PM

When I C/P a address bar at the top...............there is no "go" button , so I can't get anyware. :inlove:

Bookmarks............Is there any way to have them display in a tree, like clicking the star in IE? This rolling mess of bookmarks is the pits. :flowers:

Printer....now where did my icon go ?Can't right click it up either. Grrr

Is there an extension like IE Spell? :thumbsup:

Not having fun here :trumpet:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 phawgg

phawgg

Learning Daily

• Members
  • 4,543 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:57 AM

Posted 04 October 2004 - 03:36 PM

When I C/P a address bar at the top...............there is no "go" button , so I can't get anyware.

The google field is next to the address field. I can identify with your frustration there, as it's small. In fact, I just set google as my homepage and open another window when I'm searchin' a lot.

Bookmarks............Is there any way to have them display in a tree, like clicking the star in IE? This rolling mess of bookmarks is the pits.

Hit manage bookmarks, under the toolbar "Bookmarks" click n' drag to position things.
The "Bookmarks Toolbar Folder will place your most frequently used links on the third bar down from the top. I use it for BC, other forums, Yahoo, Gmail. HJT search sites, etc. You'll get used to it. The speed of resolving pages is much quicker than IE.

When you make a bookmark, you can choose where it goes. I usually have it go in the "bookmarks" folder if I don't know right then where I want it. I may go back later and move it in manage to, say a folder called "computer parts" If you create 35 folders and have them in seven sections, you can still have a dozen "loose" under bookmarks (in general) before the drop down menu goes off the page and starts to "hide" them requiring that you click on arrows to see them all.

If you import all your "Favorites" from IE and don't organize them in folders, you gotta mess. Long, long drop down menu that is totally unorganized.

Printer....now where did my icon go ?Can't right click it up either. Grrr

I don't know. I prefer to open printer from the start menu, personally

Is there an extension like IE Spell?

For spell check, I use Word, but for extensions the answer is probably, there are so many to choose from

your Firefox & Mozilla Information bookmark folder has those quick links. :thumbsup:
patiently patrolling, plenty of persisant pests n' problems ...

#3 phawgg

phawgg

Learning Daily

• Members
  • 4,543 posts
  •  

Posted 04 October 2004 - 03:48 PM

Additionally, pondering, the drop down menu itself has click-drag functionality. Move your most used folders UP and those less frequently DOWN. Very quick. Explore the context (right-click) of everything. you'll see that when once your link said:
"Buy the best from Zeek's Double Gold standard" you can have it labelled: "Zeeks" now.

manage bookmarks (get tree) context menu>properties (rename) click-drag (to where you want it)

You'll get the hang of it and I think you might find it superior to the IE organization after a couple days of playin' with it. :thumbsup:

#4 pondering

pondering
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 313 posts
  •  

Posted 04 October 2004 - 04:12 PM

Sorry Phawg.......................I still don't get any of it. :thumbsup: to me Firefox is unusable till I can do a few simple functions. I am beginning to hate it. :trumpet:

When I C/P a address bar at the top...............there is no "go" button , so I can't get anywhere.

I'm not using the google tool bar, if I type in an address in the top bar (that part is ok)..... How/what do I press/click/pray to/cuss at, to have Firefox take me to that location? What is Firefoxes equivalent of a GO button. :flowers:

#5 luci2a

luci2a

• Members
  • 171 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:57 AM

Posted 04 October 2004 - 04:31 PM

Hi Pondering
Go View > toolbars > customise and you can drag and drop the "Go" button, printer button etc.

They should all be available - just add 'em as required. :thumbsup:
Luci2a

#6 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:57 AM

Posted 04 October 2004 - 04:40 PM

When I C/P a address bar at the top...............there is no "go" button , so I can't get anyware.

Hit "Enter" key.

Is there an extension like IE Spell?

SpellBound 0.6.0--Spell checker for Firefox 0.9+
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#7 pondering

pondering
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 313 posts
  •  

Posted 04 October 2004 - 05:09 PM

luci2a :flowers: Thank you!! Whoo hoo .....I now have a GO, Printer and history.

I guess I can put off :thumbsup: for a while.

tg1911... Thanks I'll go grab the spell checker.

Boy this moving is nerve racking. :trumpet:

Now if I could just get my bookmarks like the star in IE, in a tree on the right side of the screen I would be a little more at home. :inlove:

#8 pondering

pondering
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 313 posts
  •  

Posted 04 October 2004 - 06:26 PM

I installed the spell checker and found the icon. :flowers:

Now to see if it works........it did :thumbsup: Thanks

#9 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:57 AM

Posted 04 October 2004 - 06:30 PM

You're welcome.
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#10 pondering

pondering
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 313 posts
  •  

Posted 04 October 2004 - 06:39 PM

I'll post this in case someone else has this problem.

To get bookmarks on right side in a tree...

ctrl+ b

then place bookmark icon (see post above) on toolbar. Just like IE :thumbsup:

Edited by pondering, 04 October 2004 - 06:40 PM.

#11 phawgg

phawgg

Learning Daily

• Members
  • 4,543 posts
  •  

Posted 04 October 2004 - 09:05 PM

and please check out the "updating game" post in this forum, too. screenshots might help steer you, the first ones apply to firefox. :thumbsup:

#12 pondering

pondering
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 313 posts
  •  

Posted 04 October 2004 - 11:09 PM

Sure I'll check it out. I have all my "must haves" working on Firefox now. :thumbsup:

#13 luci2a

luci2a

• Members
  • 171 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:57 AM

Posted 05 October 2004 - 01:47 AM

Glad you sorted it out Pondering! Thanks for the flowers! Now you'll never look back.
Luci2a :thumbsup:

#14 pondering

pondering
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 313 posts
  •  

Posted 05 October 2004 - 05:08 PM

Glad you sorted it out Pondering! Thanks for the flowers! Now you'll never look back.
Luci2a :thumbsup:

I'm still not comfortable enough with Firefox to set it as default yet. :flowers:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users