Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Need to install new HD-how?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 ajsmom

ajsmom

• Members
  • 97 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:13 PM

Posted 28 June 2010 - 11:14 PM

Last fall the HD on my Dell Lap top died. I worked for weeks with ThunderZ and The Wall on this forum to fix it, but the damage was too bad and it finally just laid down and died. ThunderZ helped me find a new hard drive and I finally got it ordered. Then, Life interrupted and I had to put the lap top away for a while. Now, I am back and need to get this new hard drive installed and working, but I can not find ThunderZ to help me.

I have the lap top - old HD still in it. I also have the new HD still in the box it was shipped in. What do I need to do to get this started? I have absolutely NO experience working on these things. I did remove the cover one time and blow the dust out, but that is the extent of my repair work. So, please be patient with me and explain in simple terms. I do follow directions very well! Any help getting this going will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Lisa

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,755 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:13 PM

Posted 29 June 2010 - 02:13 AM

I dont know the exact hard drive model or the specifics, but they are usually pretty straightforward, usually on most laptops there is a cover on the bottom of the laptops (some put them on the side) that cover the hard drive held in place by 2-4 screws. Remove that cover, the hard drive is usually held in place by some sort of bracket-again just unscrew it, and slide it out, and put the new one in the same way the old one was (you will probably have to remove the bracket from the old hard drive) Some of the older dell IDE drives had a special adaptor that went from a 2.5 inch IDE to a really small IDE, if this is the case you will have to remove the adaptor and put it on the new drive as well. If it is a standard 2.5 inch IDE or the newer model Sata, then no issues. Just keep in mind, it will only fit in one way, if you are forcing it you are likely doing it wrong and will likely break something.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#3 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:13 PM

Posted 29 June 2010 - 06:36 AM

Dell has great service manuals online (lots of pics so even slow people like me can work on them). Go to "support" and enter your model/service tag number and go from there.

Edited by dpunisher, 29 June 2010 - 06:36 AM.

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

#4 ajsmom

ajsmom
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 97 posts
  •  

Posted 29 June 2010 - 09:40 AM

Thanks! I will try that out.

#5 strolln

strolln

• Members
  • 400 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:13 AM

Posted 29 June 2010 - 10:05 AM

Before you start make sure that you have the OS disk and the drivers from Dell from your laptop. If you have the original recovery disks from Dell for the laptop that would be ideal. Most newer systems have a recovery partition on the original HD so if you don't have install disks you may have a problem.

Edited by strolln, 29 June 2010 - 10:06 AM.

To Err is human; to really foul things up requires a Bleeping Computer!

#6 ajsmom

ajsmom
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 97 posts
  •  

Posted 03 July 2010 - 12:52 AM

Thanks for the heads up... I do think that I have the disks. I will check before starting.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users