Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Check Disk Problems

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 tomkay44

tomkay44

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:39 AM

Posted 28 June 2010 - 10:55 PM

I'm having trouble running "Check Disk for Errors". When its done it reboots it runs again, over and over.

Running XP MCE 2005 (Even though system properties says 2002) SP3

Elise025 says I might need to disable File Checker. Can someone help?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:39 PM

Posted 28 June 2010 - 10:57 PM

Try running chkdsk from the Recovery Console:

Insert the Windows XP CD into the CD drive, and then restart the computer. Click to select any options that are required to start the computer from the CD drive if you are prompted. When the "Welcome to Setup" screen appears, press R to start the Recovery Console. If you have a dual-boot or multiple-boot computer, select the installation that you must access from the Recovery Console. When you are prompted, type the Administrator password. If the administrator password is blank, just press ENTER.

Type: chkdsk /r

It's important to have a space before the "/".

To exit the Recovery Console and restart the computer, type exit at the command prompt, and then press ENTER.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#3 tomkay44

tomkay44
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  

Posted 29 June 2010 - 12:26 AM

Since I was helped by Eloise025 my system now offers Recovery Console at startup. Can I run it from there or do I have to run from the Toshiba factory disk?

#4 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  

Posted 29 June 2010 - 01:12 AM

Yes it's fine to run the Recovery Console from startup.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#5 tomkay44

tomkay44
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  

Posted 29 June 2010 - 03:04 AM

Thanks SO much!

It seemed to work. Are there any other maintenance operations I can run from Recovery console like Cleandisk or Scan disk? Also, do you know a better way to remove Windows components other than from Ad Remove Programs in the Control Panel. I always seems flaky when I run it from there.

#6 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  

Posted 29 June 2010 - 05:15 AM

Hi -
I always use the program uninstaller first - Then look in Add/Remove after that -
If you want more checking > Accessories > Windows Explorer > My Computer > Local Disk > Program Files -
See if the item is still listed then Right click / Delete the item - Also look in My Documents and see if it is listed in there -
Thank You -
EDIT - I use this code in the Run Box to do the Chk Dsk - Copy and Paste it and click OK -
CMD /C ECHO Y|CHKDSK C: /R | SHUTDOWN /R /T 30

Edited by noknojon, 29 June 2010 - 05:19 AM.

#7 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  

Posted 29 June 2010 - 05:11 PM

Normally one would not use the Recovery Console for general maintenance. Its mostly used for when there are problems.

—George Bernard Shaw

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users