Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Help ....

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 marknannie

marknannie

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:38 PM

Posted 15 October 2005 - 11:31 AM

My current operating system is windows xp..and my computer should run windows nt...my question is my icons on my background take forever to pop up..is this becuz I'm running the wrong operating system on my pc?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 HappyShiner

HappyShiner

• Members
  • 58 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:38 PM

Posted 15 October 2005 - 03:11 PM

Hi there,

This is rather a complex problem as many different things may be causing it. The first thing we need to do is rule out malware....as that is one of the prime suspects. Please scan with Panda online:

Panda ActiveScan
http://www.pandasoftware.com/activescan
Make sure you tick Disinfect automatically under Scan Options

Ensure you save the log of the scan. Please copy and paste it into your next post if the scan finds anything more serious then tracking cookies.

Also, please try the following (in case of file or drive corruption):

Do a Disk Check
Go to properties of your C: (ALT + Click / Right-click)
Go to the "tools" tab.
At the first section, the "Error-checking" section, Click "Check Now"
Check both boxes and click start.
Click Yes at the prompt.
Reboot your computer.

Let it scan...then log into your account and do the following:

Start > Run > copy and paste in:
sfc /scannow
Click 'OK'
You will need your XP/2000*Grinler disk. If you don't have it and instead only have a recovery CD, there is a work around. View the following link for a tutorial:

http://www.updatexp.com/scannow-sfc.html

sfc - system file checker, retrieves the correct version of the file from %Systemroot%\System32\Dllcache or the Windows installation source files, and then replaces the incorrect file.

If you want to see what was replaced, right click My Computer > manage, expand event viewer > system.

Let me know how you get on and if you have any problems :thumbsup:

Big Smiles

HS

#3 spywaredr

spywaredr

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:38 PM

Posted 16 October 2005 - 06:18 PM

loading those programs,represented by our icons,takes forever if you have too many loading with windows. install regclean from:
http://browseraddons.friendpages.com
once installed,click the start up tab. look over what you have loading with windows. are there programs that can be started when needed? check those not needed immidiately and select remove selected.
REMOVING PROGRAMS USING THE STARTUP TAB,DOES NOT! REMOVE THEM FROM YOUR COMPUTER,ONLY STOPS THEM FROM STARTING UP WITH WINDOWS AT BOOT UP.
leave your desktop,anti-virus,firewall,things like that alone.remove the rest.
now,loading just the icons,takes up valuable boot time as well as the files/programs they represent. get rid of those icons you really don't use [at all] by:
start,properties,taskbar,check hide inactive icons,cl8ick customize,choose always hide/always show for each program,ok,apply,ok
another thing you can do to speed up boot times is:
clean out pre-fetch files:
start,my computer,windows,pre-fetch,view,select all,file,select delete.
windows captures copies of every site you visit and logs them into pre-fetch so that a return visit windows checks pre-fetch 1st for that site,allowing faster access to that site.however,over a period of time,pre-fetch gets overbloated,causing serious slow ups. YOU CAN SAFELY REMOVE PRE-FETCH FILES.
sides,it forces windows to present you with the latest version of that site each time without forcing a reload/refresh to get the latest version.a LITTLE more time consuming,but a faster boot up time.
i also reccomend restricting cookie downloads as well as managing your cookie folder from your desktop,see how here:
http://ieoptions.friendpages.com
boy ! this got to be BOOK length,lol !!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users