Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer Powers On but with No Video

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 DrKevorkian

DrKevorkian

• Members
  • 51 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:44 PM

Posted 28 June 2010 - 05:39 PM

Hi,

Background Information

I have a custom built computer (selected parts work together, will explain). It was working (well running) but had a bad harddisk which caused blue screens and Windows 7 notifications of a bad harddrive.

With the errors worsening and unpredictable I was forced to replace it, and used the warranty. After replacing the old harddrive (same model) and reinstalling the new harddrive the computer does not work properly.

Problem

I alluded to it but the computer does not output any video after being turned on. It is a fresh (empty) hard drive that uses SATA II. It is plugged in and screwed securely into the case but the monitor remains in Stand by and detects "No Signal".

I've tried to output using the HDMI, and the other white output with screws. No dice.

No BIOS, nothing.

Does anyone have advice or suggestions of where the problem could be. For the most part the only changes I made were switching the harddrives, and removing the RAM to do so.

Edited by DrKevorkian, 28 June 2010 - 06:04 PM.

<3 REMEMBER THE DAY YOU SET ME FREE

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 YHB318

YHB318

• Members
  • 165 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:44 PM

Posted 28 June 2010 - 08:38 PM

Sounds like RAM might not be put back properly. The computer should POST without a hard drive, so go ahead and disconnect it to test. Try reseating the RAM - make sure they're in similar colored slots. You might try moving them to new slots, or trying one stick at a time, or even trying new RAM. Maybe something burned out while you were changing things.

#3 Papakid

Papakid

Guru at being a Newbie

• Malware Response Team
  • 6,551 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:44 PM

Posted 29 June 2010 - 09:17 PM

And if that doesn't work check your power supply unit (PSU). I had a problem with no signal and the only way I could get a signal back was to take the RAM all the way out and then reinstall it (reseating), which would work until the next time I tried to power up from a cold start. The permanent fix was a new, and better, PSU.

The fate of all mankind, I see

Is in the hands of fools

--King Crimson

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users