Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Good deal? External Hard Drive

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 CalusBlade

CalusBlade

• Members
  • 538 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:32 AM

Posted 28 June 2010 - 04:17 PM

I just wanna know if this is a good deal and a reliable brand. 1.5 TB SeaGate.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,289 posts
  •  

Posted 28 June 2010 - 04:58 PM

External hard drives are subject to the same possibilities as a system internal hard drive...failure could be a step away.

Seagate is a known manufacturer of hard drives, as Hitachi, Western Digital, etc. My opinion is that no manufacturer produces drives which are any more reliable than the other manufacturers...that's been my experience with internal hard drives.

Since you don't list any price data and failed to link to the drive you are inquiring about...it's hard to answer whatever you are asking.

Louis

#3 CalusBlade

CalusBlade
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 538 posts
  •  

Posted 28 June 2010 - 09:37 PM

Oh, I forgot to put up the price lol. sorry

It was 129.00 and with the rebate it becomes 99.00

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,289 posts
  •  

Posted 29 June 2010 - 12:04 PM

The price is right, IMO.

My ony problem...is that I don't favor having one humongous drive on any system...I would rather have 3 500GB drives than a 1.5TB drive. I like to spread the risk.

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 29 June 2010 - 12:05 PM.

#5 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,319 posts
  •  

Posted 29 June 2010 - 06:08 PM

Sales tax here is over 9% so I always try to find a reliable supplier that I don't have to pay shipping or taxes on stuff I buy online.

One brand of External HDD Seagate 1.5TB got several bad reviews at NEWEGG and looking there it is not available at this time.

Seagate FreeAgent Desk 1.5TB USB 2.0 Silver External Hard Drive ST315005FDA2E1-RK
http://www.newegg.com/product/product.aspx...N82E16822148357

Here is another Seagate with bad reviews for $89.99 @ Newegg.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...8-406-_-Product

Edited by buddy215, 29 June 2010 - 06:34 PM.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#6 CalusBlade

CalusBlade
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 538 posts
  •  

Posted 29 June 2010 - 08:47 PM

This is troubling lol. I bough it today being that my costco card is about to expire and I really needed extra space. I do have a 5 year warranty so its not all that bad. I am going to unplug it when I don't need it. Simply put, its only for storage. If it dies on me, I'm not gonna be happy :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users