Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Problems repairing an installation of windows XP

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 steens15

steens15

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:04 AM

Posted 28 June 2010 - 01:55 PM

Hi, I was trying to fix my mom's computer:

Original problem: Computer would not boot, would just run the load screen and then reboot.

The computer is running windows XP home, she doesn't want to lose her media, downloads, settings/ things already on the computer, so that's why I didn't do a complete re-installation. But we've ran into a bit of a problem, we get the error:

"The software you are installing for this hardware: NVIDIA Geforce4 MX420 (Microsoft Corporation) has not passed Windows logo testing to verify its compatibility with Windows XP.

Continuing your installation of this software may impair or destabilize the correct operation of your system either immediately or in the future. Microsoft strongly recommends that you stop this installation now and contact the hardware vendor for software that has passed Windows Logo testing."

That error comes up when I'm trying to repair using the WIndows Install CD that came with her computer when it's 'installing devices.'

Not sure if this is a problem because she has the service packs installed or what? For now I've given her a Linux OS on a CD to run, but was hoping there was a way we could fix this without a complete re-install.

Thanks a lot for your help and time

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,742 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:04 AM

Posted 28 June 2010 - 02:18 PM

System manufacturer and model?

<<"The software you are installing for this hardware: NVIDIA Geforce4 MX420 (Microsoft Corporation) has not passed Windows logo testing to verify its compatibility with Windows XP.

Continuing your installation of this software may impair or destabilize the correct operation of your system either immediately or in the future. Microsoft strongly recommends that you stop this installation now and contact the hardware vendor for software that has passed Windows Logo testing.">>

That warning is very routine, I always ignore it. I've not had a driver problem or system problem as the result of my actions.

Elect to continue the installation.

<<The computer is running windows XP home, she doesn't want to lose her media, downloads, settings/ things already on the computer, so that's why I didn't do a complete re-installation.>>

Well...not every CD allows for a repair install. I suggest that you consult the manual or the vendor website for using any disks which came with that system...before using them for anything.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users