Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows7 Administrator account?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Sir Maru

Sir Maru

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:33 PM

Posted 28 June 2010 - 01:30 PM

I understand that Windows7 starts the user without an Administrator account.

What is the purpose of that account and how does one enable it?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 computerxpds

computerxpds

Bleepin' Comp

• 4,487 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:33 PM

Posted 28 June 2010 - 01:38 PM

Hi,

I'm confused you said windows 7 starts you "without" an administrator account? Usually when I set up a windows 7 install it sets up an admin account and when the install completes you are left with a 2 admin accounts one that is accessible only in safe mode and one that you set up during the install. And if this is an OEM computer that was bought with windows already installed then it is the same.
sigcomp.png 
If I have replied to a topic and you reply and I haven't gotten back to you within 48 hours (2 days) then send me a P.M.
Some important links: BC Forum Rules | Misplaced Malware Logs | BC Tutorials | BC Downloads |
Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook! | Twitter! | Google+| Come join us on the BleepingComputer Live Chat on Discord too! |

#3 RedDawn

RedDawn

• Members
  • 454 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:33 PM

Posted 28 June 2010 - 03:03 PM

From Vista onwards, the normal admin you see and use is not really a true admin account. For security reasons, the true admin acc. is disabled and hidden by default. I have never come across a time when I needed or seen a reason to enable it, and I highly recommend leaving it disabled.

http://windows7forums.com/windows-7-progra...indows-7-a.html

#4 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:33 PM

Posted 28 June 2010 - 03:34 PM

From Vista onwards, the normal admin you see and use is not really a true admin account. For security reasons, the true admin acc. is disabled and hidden by default. I have never come across a time when I needed or seen a reason to enable it, and I highly recommend leaving it disabled.

http://windows7forums.com/windows-7-progra...indows-7-a.html

Actually its from Windows NT on ward. In Windows NT and greater the True Admin account is denoted with a UID of 500, any user with another UID is a regular user that has special bits set to provide different levels of privileged access to make changes via group policy editor or via domain delegation. In a domain environment the following rules apply:

Local Administrator means the user that is a part of that group can make changes on that computer only regardless of their profile settings.

Domain Admin is a user that make changes on any computer system within a domain.

Enterprise Admin can make changes on any computer system in a domain or part of an enterprise network such as Exchange Servers.

Exchange Server Admins are users that can only make changes on Exchange Servers.

Schema Admins are higher up then Enterprise Admins

Even though these are all admin accounts, there can only be one 500 UID True Admin.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users